This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3418 / 52°20'30"N
Longitude: -0.3463 / 0°20'46"W
OS Eastings: 512758
OS Northings: 272809
OS Grid: TL127728
Mapcode National: GBR H14.38L
Mapcode Global: VHFPB.YD9M
Plus Code: 9C4X8MR3+PF
Entry Name: Parish Church of St James
Listing Date: 28 January 1958
Last Amended: 21 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1330478
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54594
Location: Spaldwick, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Spaldwick
Built-Up Area: Spaldwick
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Spaldwick St James
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 17 SW SPALDWICK
6/124 Parish Church
28.1.58 of St. James
(Formerly listed as Church of
Parish church. Nave wall and north door, and part of east wall
C12. Nave arcade to south C13. Chancel and chancel arch early
C14, tower mid C14 and spire completed by end of C14.
Clerestorey added to nave c.1370, and south porch. South chapel
c.1500 and south aisle and porch rebuilt. C17 buttresses added
to north side of nave and parapets rebuilt. Restoration began
in 1810, and 1815, (nave reroofed in 1843) again in 1863.
Chancel restored in 1908 and tower in 1914, spire in 1850, 1873,
and 1905. Walls of stone and pebble rubble, tower of coursed
rubble with ashlar spire. Barnack, Weldon and Ketton limestone
dressings. Roofs of slate and lead. South facing elevation:
west tower of four stages has a lozenge shaped window with
reticulate tracery, coupled, two-light belfrey windows with
transomes in two-centred arches and square buttresses.
Octagonal spire has projecting figure at top of broaches, three
tiers of spire lights, the top light has a carved stone
'J. Rivitt 1873'. Clerestorey of three bays with paired lights
in squared-headed arches possibly C16, and plain parapet;
shallow pitched nave roof. Aisle and chapel walls of six
buttressed bays with three-light windows in four-centred arches
with plain parapet to pent-roof. Chancel with low-pitch roof
and similar parapet has a two-light window with geometric
tracery. South porch c.1500, has a reset late C14 archway with
shafted jambs with moulded capitals and bases. North doorway
with semi-circular head and continuous moulded jambs with
beak-head ornament. Interior. Two-centred chancel arch, early
C14 of two chamfered orders resting on moulded corbels. Tower
arch C14, two-centred with three moulded orders. Nave arcade
c.1250 of four bays with two-centred arches with two chamfered
orders and moulded labels with nail-head ornament on circular
columns with moulded capitals and bases. Reset doorway in south
aisle c.1250 with two-centred arch and two moulded and chamfered
orders. Piscena with two-centred head, quatre-foil basin and
stone shelf. The chapel has an early C16 roof with moulded
beams and a carved boss. Early C16 oak screen repaired. C13
font has an octagonal bowl. On either side of north door are
two early C14 coped coffin-lids.
VCH (Hunts) p98-100. RCHM (Hunts) p242-244.
Norris Museum, St. Ives. Inskip Ladds Collection.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p345.
Listing NGR: TL1275872809
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings