History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Angel House

A Grade II Listed Building in Elton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.5314 / 52°31'52"N

Longitude: -0.3995 / 0°23'58"W

OS Eastings: 508666

OS Northings: 293812

OS Grid: TL086938

Mapcode National: GBR GYR.7TQ

Mapcode Global: VHFNC.1M5T

Plus Code: 9C4XGJJ2+G6

Entry Name: Angel House

Listing Date: 13 December 1957

Last Amended: 16 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1330508

English Heritage Legacy ID: 54857

Location: Elton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE8

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Elton

Built-Up Area: Elton

Traditional County: Huntingdonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Elton

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

(south side)
No. 13 (Angel House)
(formerly listed as No. 17)

The eighth sentence of the description shall be amended to read:- "Two flanking
three-light casement windows with ovolo mullions and moulded cornices; two similar,
first floor windows and one central moulded cornices."


TL 0893
(South Side)
15/49 No. 13 (Angel House)
13.12.57 (formerly listed as No,17)
House, formerly an inn. Circa 1703,dated chimney stack,with early C20
alterations and additions. Coursed limestone rubble with freestone dressings.
Thatched roof, parapet gables with chamfered copings and shaped corbels.
Gable end stacks with moulded cornices, central stack reduced and plastered.
Two storeys and attic, two unit plan with lobby entry; early C20 rear wing.
Symmetrical facade with boarded door and flat canopy supported by shaped
brackets. Two flanking three-light casement windows with ovolo mullions and
moulded cornices; two similar, smaller first floor windows and one central
single light window. Interior: Mitre-stop-chamfered axial and cross beams.
Open hearth to west room and to east room with cambered mantel beams. The
house was recorded as an inn in 1820, the erratic stones beside the entrance
are said to have been used as mounting blocks.

R.C.H.M. Huntingdonshire, p83
Clark, A. Photographic Collection

Listing NGR: TL0866693812

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.