History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grip Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Linton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0941 / 52°5'38"N

Longitude: 0.2751 / 0°16'30"E

OS Eastings: 555952

OS Northings: 246413

OS Grid: TL559464

Mapcode National: GBR MB5.QCJ

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.QM9J

Entry Name: Grip Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1331168

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51919

Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Linton

Built-Up Area: Linton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hildersham

Listing Text

TL 5446 LINTON THE GRIP
(East Side)

15/105 Nos. 15 & 17
(Grip Farmhouse)
22.11.67

GV II

House, formerly a farmhouse enlarged in C17 and later partly demolished;
converted as two dwellings in the C19. C16 and C17 with C19 and C20
alterations. Timber-framed and plastered with some late C18 pargetted panels
and roundel with indistinct inscription to rear elevation, stucco to street
elevation with imitation masonry lines. C20 interlocking tiles. Tall red
brick ridge stack with grouped shafts; gable end stack to right hand. Two
storeys and attics; cross wing to north late C16 with early C17 hall and
late C17 gable extension to south. Main entrance (now sealed internally) to
right of centre with six-flush-panelled door, wooden doorcase and shallow
hood. Three ground floor C20 three-light mullioned and transomed casement
windows with drip moulds, and three similar first floor windows. Two C20
gabled dormer windows. Interior: exposed timber-frame and floor-frame shows
clearly the three building periods; original winding oak staircase in an
internal turret rising to attic floors; sealed ovolo moulded mullioned
windows; some bolection moulded two-panelled late C17 doors; the hall, and
chamber above both have timbers with traces of vermillion paint, part of the
original decorative scheme; side purlin roofs windbraced. The farmhouse was
enlarged in the late C17 to the east, only part of the garden walls to the
north remain. Robert Flack (b.1627), steward of Linton Manor in late C17 is
said to have rebuilt the farmhouse (Palmer). In 1783/4, as part of the
Linton estate it was sold to Benjamin Keene who demolished the east-west
range.

Maling, A. Survey for Barrington Flack. 1732 U.L.
Millicent and Paris Maps 1600. Pembroke College
Stevens, R.L. 'The Grip Farm and C17 Flacks' 1983 (unpublished) C.C.
Palmer, W.M. The Antiquities of Linton, 1913, p7
R.C.H.M. Report 1951


Listing NGR: TL5595246413

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.