History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Burystead

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wilburton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3524 / 52°21'8"N

Longitude: 0.1804 / 0°10'49"E

OS Eastings: 548602

OS Northings: 274938

OS Grid: TL486749

Mapcode National: GBR M6Y.JFS

Mapcode Global: VHHJK.24RH

Entry Name: The Burystead

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1331469

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49515

Location: Wilburton, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Wilburton

Built-Up Area: Wilburton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Wilburton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Haddenham

Listing Text

WILBURTON STATION ROAD
TL 4874 (West Side)

23/47 The Burystead
5.2.52
GV II*

House, formerly the manor house. Probably c1610 for Sir John Jolles, Alderman
of City of London, but some of the features would seem to be of later date.
Altered internally later C19. Red brick, English bond and broad mortar
courses. On high plinth (see Yew Tree House, Witcham and other Fenland houses
eg Hannath Hall, Tydd St Giles). Plain tiled gabled roof with sawtooth eaves
cornice. End parapets on kneelers having finials and an apex finial on a
corbel all of moulded brick, some repaired. Two ridge stacks to the centre
range and one to each wing. Each having two restored octagonal shafts on
rectangular base with moulded brick entablature. There is a later side stack
to the north wing. Original half-H plan with symmetrical stair turrets in the
reentrant angles. Centre range of two storeys. One C18 three light first
floor casement and an enlarged ground floor window. Reused red brick in front
wall. South stair turret has similar parapetted gables with finials. One
casement window to each flight. A doorway in the ground floor is modern.
South wing is two storeys and attic. It was probably the family or guest
wing. A principal doorway was in the north side wall. Window and door
openings where original have splayed reveals and header brick arches. The
gable end has an attic and first floor casement and an inserted ground floor
window. The windows in the south wall are all C20 wood cross frame casements
with leaded lights but some evidence of original openings remains including at
first floor a closet window of some size. The rear elevation has four gables
including those of the wings. One gable has been substantially rebuilt and
all have been repaired. The fenestration is C20 wood cross frame casements,
with leaded lights but some of the splayed openings are original and there are
relieving arches to the gables. Three gables have straight joint continuous
from ground to first floor on either side of the present windows. This
suggests that originally there were two storey bay window to the gables. At a
fairly early stage these were removed as the brick infill is of C17. The
north wing probably contained the service quarters. It is of two storeys and
attic and nearly symmetrical with the south wing. There is evidence for
window openings, now blocked, and one original remaining window opening in the
south wall. This has ovolo mullions and iron stay bars. A piece of timber
found when unbricking the window states that it was blocked in 1752. The
north stair turret is similar to the south and the doorway at ground floor,
although now partly blocked, is probably its original principal entry. The
string course which is continued round the entire exterior of the house is
here carried over one of the stair turret windows. One of these is also
original having an ovolo moulding. Interior: The plan of the house remains
intact. At the south end in the ground floor there have been some changes
however. The staircases were replaced in C19. The centre block has a large
fireplace with shaped back wall and moulded cornice above the hearth opening.
This is carried round the side wall of the chimney. The south wing has an
anteroom at the east end and larger room with original clunch fireplace except
for mantel and frieze. The main hearths have ovolo mullions. The first floor
of this wing still retains an intact hearth of clunch. The surround is formed
of pilasters on bases with diamond enrichment and having a frieze enriched
with raised and fielded panels in similar material. Other rooms have similar
hearths with shaped backs but without surrounds. The inglenook hearth is in
the north wing and is now blocked. The roof in the south wing and main range
is of staggered butt purlin type. That over the north wing has been rebuilt.
The house is of particular interest as being externally nearly intact and a
good example of a house of the period.

V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. IV
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p486


Listing NGR: TL4860274938

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.