This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.385 / 52°23'6"N
Longitude: 0.1741 / 0°10'26"E
OS Eastings: 548063
OS Northings: 278556
OS Grid: TL480785
Mapcode National: GBR M6K.GTL
Mapcode Global: VHHJB.Y9XZ
Plus Code: 9F4295PF+2M
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1331500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49578
Location: Wentworth, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Wentworth
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wentworth
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 47 NE WENTWORTH MAIN STREET
8/48 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C12, C13 and C14. Major restoration of 1868 included
rebuilding of nave, south porch and reroofing. Limestone and sandstone rubble
with some fieldstone, and limestone dressings. Plain tiled roof with end
parapets. West tower, aisleless nave and chancel. West tower C14 of three
stages on a plinth with splayed upper edge. Embattled parapet with low
pyramidical tiled cap to tower roof. Five stage contemporary diagonal
buttressing. Restored C14 west window of two cinquefoil lights in two centred
arch. Lancet to each side of first stage. Bell stage of two trefoil openings
in two centred arch. Nave rebuilt in 1868 incorporating in south wall C12
doorway. Round roll moulded arch with blank tympanum, on cushion capitals and
twisted colonettes with moulded bases. The nave fenestration is C14 in style.
Chancel, C13. South wall has three lancets and a low side window in a square
head and south doorway in chamfered two centred arch. Restored east window of
three graduated lancets. Three similar C13 lancets in north wall of chancel.
Nave north doorway similar to south doorway but with plain colonettes.
Interior: C14 west tower arch. Two centred and of two chamfered orders, the
inner on half octagonal responds with moulded plinth and splayed base. C19
collar rafter roof with shaped bracing. Original two centred and double
chamfered chancel arch on 1868 corbels carved with still leaf foliage. C13
plain double piscina with each bay in a two centred chamfered arch and divided
by a colonette with moulded capital and base. In north wall, probably reset,
a c12 sculptured panel in high relief: the standing figure of a priest in
mass vestments holding an open book and an aspergillum. Figure framed in an
arch which is supported by a twisted column with cushion capital to left, the
right hand side of the panel is damaged. Above the arch architectural motifs.
The rear arches of the C13 lancets in the north and south walls of the chancel
have deep splays. There is a moulded and keeled string course at sill height
carried over the double piscina. Font C13. Octagonal limestone bowl with
stiff-leaf carving below the bowl on central column with four subsidiary
Pevsner: Buildings of England p477
VCH: Cambs Vol IV
Listing NGR: TL4806378556
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings