History in Structure

Woodlands Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Steeton, Bradford

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.8931 / 53°53'34"N

Longitude: -1.9513 / 1°57'4"W

OS Eastings: 403298

OS Northings: 444098

OS Grid: SE032440

Mapcode National: GBR GRTF.B6

Mapcode Global: WHB7P.0D3V

Plus Code: 9C5WV2VX+6F

Entry Name: Woodlands Mill

Listing Date: 27 February 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1331675

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422770

ID on this website: 101331675

Location: Steeton, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD20

County: Bradford

Civil Parish: Steeton with Eastburn

Built-Up Area: Steeton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Steeton St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Tagged with: Mill

Find accommodation in


The following item shall be added:-





Worsted spinning mill c 1812 with late C19 alterations and
additions. Built for Thomas Pearson and Sons. Coursed rubble with
ashlar dressings and slate roofs. The original mill building now
forms the centre of the complex, four storey with a diminishing
number of bays to each floor due to the slope of the site, the top
floor nine bays, on the south-west front. At the rear an added
combing shed. Attached to the south-east a later mill building added
c 1860, five storeys and nine bays wide, with continuous cill bands,
six pane glazing bar windows and a dentilated eaves band. At the
north west corner a small square turret rises above the roof line,
topped by a pyramidal roof. Beyond to the east, the new engine house
and rope race. Attached to the north-west of the old mill, the old
engine house and beyond at a higher level the weaving shed also c
1860, single storey ten bays by ten bays with north light roof
lighting. Attached to the south-west the blacksmiths and joiners
shops. This block has a nine bay south-east front, with loading
access to the west and a tall circular chimney stack projecting
through the roof at the north-east corner. The south-west gable
front, to the street, has three windows and a blocked taking-in door
to each floor, with above a single plain sash in the gable. Beyond
to the left the blank wall of the weaving shed and beyond the three
storey office block adjoining the main entrance. The office has
continuous cill bands and dentilated eaves band. To the right two
bays with a single louvred opening, above a single window and above
again two windows. To the left a two bay chamfered with a large
ground floor access door with above two glazing bar windows, and above
again two further windows. To the left again the remains of a former
entrance arch which linked to the now demolished old and new
warehouses. In 1847 the mill was purchased by John Clough of Keighley
who expanded the works until the company failed 1939.

Listing NGR: SE0329844098

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.