This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3115 / 52°18'41"N
Longitude: 0.3906 / 0°23'26"E
OS Eastings: 563061
OS Northings: 270841
OS Grid: TL630708
Mapcode National: GBR N94.3JS
Mapcode Global: VHJG9.Q5BC
Plus Code: 9F42896R+H6
Entry Name: Fordham War Memorial
Listing Date: 31 January 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1331743
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49021
Location: Fordham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
Civil Parish: Fordham
Built-Up Area: Fordham
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Fordham St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Ely
First World War memorial, 1921, by Sir Edwin Lutyens with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial comprises a Doric column of Portland stone, originally surmounted by a bronze statue of St George by Sir George Frampton RA and since the 1990s by a fibreglass replacement by Robert Donaldson. The column rises from a two-stage square plinth, itself set on a two-stage square base. Overall, the memorial is 6m tall.
Inscriptions on the upper stage of the plinth read:
(South): OUR/ GLORIOUS/ DEAD
The names of the fallen of both wars are inscribed on all four sides of the lower plinth.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/10/2015
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 13 January 2017.
At Fordham, a war memorial committee was formed in June 1919 and originally proposed to erect a portico with mural tablets at the entrance to the local cemetery. However, Mrs Dunn-Gardner of Fordham Abbey donated five acres of land in the middle of the village for the combined purpose of a recreation ground and a setting for the war memorial. Lutyens was commissioned and designed a column surmounted by a bronze statue of St George by Sir George Frampton RA. It is similar to the Lutyens/Frampton war memorial in Hove.
The memorial was built by Frank Johnson, a local builder and stone mason and was unveiled by Mrs Dunn-Gardner on 7 August 1921. In June 1991 the memorial was demolished by vandals and the statue stolen. £4,750 was raised for a replacement statue of St George, moulded in fibreglass by Robert Donaldson, an artist from Yaxley, near Peterborough.
Sir Edwin Lutyens OM RA (1869-1944) was the leading English architect of his generation. Before the First World War his reputation rested on his country houses and his work at New Delhi, but during and after the war he became the pre-eminent architect for war memorials in England, France and the British Empire. While the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) had the most influence on other war memorials, the Thiepval Arch was the most influential on other forms of architecture. He designed the Stone of Remembrance which was placed in all Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and in some cemeteries in England, including some with which he was not otherwise associated.
Fordham War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principle reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War;
* Architect: by the nationally renowned architect Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens (1869-1944), who designed extant 58 memorials at home and abroad including the Cenotaph in Whitehall;
* Design: a rare Doric column memorial by Lutyens;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed 1 Carter Street.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings