This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6294 / 51°37'45"N
Longitude: -0.7514 / 0°45'4"W
OS Eastings: 486522
OS Northings: 193021
OS Grid: SU865930
Mapcode National: GBR D54.WBF
Mapcode Global: VHDW4.X9NS
Entry Name: Guildhall
Listing Date: 9 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332349
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46010
Location: Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: High Wycombe
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: High Wycombe All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 8693 SE 2/18 9.1.54.
Dated 1757, designed by Henry Keene and built at the expense of the Earl
of Shelburne. On the site of a Guildhall of 1604. 2 storeys, open arcaded
ground floor, symmetrically designed east, west and north elevations.
Red brickwork with stone stringcourse at 1st floor level. Bracketed stone
cornice with blocking course. Hipped old tiled roof with delicate octagonal
cupola of slender Roman Doric columns, on scroll supports, framing round
headed openings and supporting broken entablature, with small dome and wrought
iron weather vane. Central motif on each front, except the south, has
slight projection and pediment, with round headed central sash window in
stone surround with cornice and dummy balustrade under sill. Altogether
5 sashes to each front with glazing bars, flat arches to side windows.
This building, standing out at right angles to the High Street fronts,
makes a large contribution to the street scene.
See illustration in Murray's Buckinghamshire by Betjeman and Piper.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Nos 1 to 5 (consec), The Little Market House, Guildhall, Premises occupied
by Midland Bank and The Falcon Hotel form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8652293021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings