This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5676 / 51°34'3"N
Longitude: -0.7734 / 0°46'24"W
OS Eastings: 485115
OS Northings: 186123
OS Grid: SU851861
Mapcode National: GBR D5W.P98
Mapcode Global: VHDWB.KV0P
Entry Name: Marlow Bridge
Listing Date: 16 July 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332381
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46189
Location: Marlow, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7
Civil Parish: Marlow
Built-Up Area: Marlow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 8586 1/60 16.7.49.
1831-36. Suspension bridge by William Tierney Clark. Clark was a pupil
of Telford and assistant to Rennie. He designed bridges also at
Hammersmith and Budapest both of which are now destroyed. The chairs
are carried by pair of stone Doric triumphal arches on rusticated piers.
The rails to footways have contemporary "Palm Tree" heads.
The whole bridge was very substantially restored in 1956-7 so that much
of the ironwork and chains are now new. The appearance of the bridge
however remains unchanged.
Listing NGR: SU8511586123
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings