This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5571 / 51°33'25"N
Longitude: -0.6898 / 0°41'23"W
OS Eastings: 490925
OS Northings: 185064
OS Grid: SU909850
Mapcode National: GBR F7J.6FW
Mapcode Global: VHFT1.0454
Entry Name: Retaining Walls of War Memorial Garden
Listing Date: 26 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332398
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44272
Location: Taplow, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL6
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Taplow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Taplow
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 98 NW TAPLOW CLIVEDEN ROAD (Cliveden)
3/2 Retaining walls of War
c1902 oval Italian garden cut into slope and lined with tufa rocks on east side,
south end and at north and built into tall alcove. Tufa rock walls to entry
path at north west West side has Roman marble screen wall of lattice pattern
with 4 uprights of herm type with head finials. East side has large bronze
statue of woman by Sir B Mackennal standing above fine Cl Roman marble panel.
North alcove contains Venetian wellhead dated 1561 and has bronze plaque recd-
ing conversion of garden to First World War memorial.
Listing NGR: SU9092685064
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings