This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8573 / 50°51'26"N
Longitude: -4.1288 / 4°7'43"W
OS Eastings: 250266
OS Northings: 108576
OS Grid: SS502085
Mapcode National: GBR KM.VCVY
Mapcode Global: FRA 267T.WWT
Plus Code: 9C2QVV4C+WF
Entry Name: Hartleigh Barton
Listing Date: 25 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333094
English Heritage Legacy ID: 90981
Location: Buckland Filleigh, Torridge, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: Buckland Filleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Buckland Filleigh St Mary and Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 50 NW
8/7 Hartleigh Barton
Farmhouse. Mid to later C17 possibly with C18 addition. Rendered stone and cob
walls. Gable-end slate roof. 3-brick gable-end stacks, one to wing.
Plan: L-shaped plan of which the rear wing appears to be earlier but it is possible
that the front range is contemporary; if not it is likely to be C18. The read wing
consists of 1 main heated room; the front range has 2 heated rooms with a central
hall. Behind its right-hand end is a small wing which may have been added either as
a dairy or to provide a staircase.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front range with 12:9:12 pane early C19
sashes on the 1st floor and 16-pane ones below. Central gabled C19 porch with early
C19 6-panel door benind. The wing behind the left-hand end has an irregular 2-
window elevation of early C20 small-paned casements on the 1st floor and 3-light mid
C20 casements on the ground floor. C19 hipped roof porch to the right with plank
Interior: fielded panel door and C18 arched nead wall cupboard in front range. Its
left-hand fireplace has a chamfered wooden lintel. Rear wing has late C17 or early
C18 wall cupboard with cock's head hinges, fielded panels and dentilled cornice.
Descendants of the Risdon family - famous for the historian of Devon - held
Hartleigh Barton for nearly 300 years until circa 1860.
Listing NGR: SS5026608576
Other nearby listed buildings