This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9161 / 50°54'57"N
Longitude: -4.1851 / 4°11'6"W
OS Eastings: 246497
OS Northings: 115229
OS Grid: SS464152
Mapcode National: GBR KK.QPLQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 263P.CCJ
Entry Name: Higher Lake
Listing Date: 25 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333097
English Heritage Legacy ID: 90991
Location: Langtree, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: Langtree
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Langtree
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
1542/2/17 HIGHER LAKE
SS 41 NE
2/17 Higher Lake
House formerly farmhouse. Late Medieval house; remodelled circa late C17 and altered and extended C18. Rendered cob and stone rubble walls. Thatch roof gabled to left end and half-hipped to right. 3 brick stacks, 2 axial and one at left gable end.
PLAN: 4-room plan formerly with a through-passage. The lower right end of the house was probably rebuilt or heavily remodelled to create the present two rooms. The original late Medieval house was at least partly open to the roof and heated from an open-hearth fire and in about the late C17 floors were inserted and stacks constructed, the hall's axial stack backing onto the former through-passage, the inner room stack at the high end of the house and the axial stack in the wall between the two lower end rooms possibly built later. The outbuilding outhut at the lower end was added in about the C18 and is now part of the accommodation of the house.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front of mainly later C19 or early C20 2- and 3-light casements, but on the ground floor to the left a C17 3-light wooden mullion window survives, chamfered on the inside. C20 gabled roof porch to right of centre with plank door behind. Rear elevation has doorway into outbuilding towards left-hand end and glazed door [now a window] to rear of passage left of centre. C20 glazed door to right.
INTERIOR: Hall has chamfered cross-beam with run-out stops and unchamfered exposed joists, ceiling strengthened by two new beams; axial firplace backing onto former through-passage with chamfered cambered bressumer and cloam oven. Inner room has chamfered axial beam and exposed unchamfered joists; stone fireplace with ovolo-moulded stopped bressumer and cloam oven. Room on lower right side of former through-passage has roughly chamfered cross-beam and exposed unchamfered joists and fireplace in axial wall with later bressumer; cross-beam on higher side of former through-passage is chamfered only half of its length. Lower right-hand room has roughly-hewn axial beam. Separating the lower room from the former outbuilding is a cob wall extending only to first floor height. Roof: 9-bays, trusses with lapped collars and horizontal common-rafters; some of the collars and common-rafters are re-used and smoke-blackened and two trusses at the lower end also appear to be smoke-blackened; truss over hall has notched halving for lapped collar.
An interesting example of a late Medieval house remodelled and partly reconstructed in about the late C17.
Listing NGR: SS4649715229
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings