History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Parish Church of Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodbury Salterton, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6928 / 50°41'34"N

Longitude: -3.3995 / 3°23'58"W

OS Eastings: 301247

OS Northings: 89067

OS Grid: SY012890

Mapcode National: GBR P4.7ZFZ

Mapcode Global: FRA 37R7.ZBH

Plus Code: 9C2RMJV2+46

Entry Name: The Parish Church of Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 30 June 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1333267

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88652

Location: Woodbury, East Devon, Devon, EX5

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Woodbury

Built-Up Area: Woodbury Salterton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Woodbury Salterton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Woodbury Road Station

Description

SY 08 NW WOODBURY WOODBURY SALTERTON (east side)

2/137 The Parish Church of Holy Trinity
30.6.61
GV II

Parish church. 1844; architect unknown; built at the expense of Marianne Pidsley,
and consecrated in 1844 when Woodbury Salterton became an ecclesiastical parish
distinct from Woodbury. Random rubble; some of the stone, especially at the west
end and for part of the north wall, is Salcombe Regis stone re-used from the
medieval tithe barn at Woodbury demolished for the purpose; also some Heavitree and
Exmouth sandstone. Decorated slate gabled-end roof with heavy gable coping. Nave,
chancel, south porch, north-east vestry. The west end gable was originally
surmounted by a bellcote. South side, 4 bays to nave including the porch; windows
of 2 lights of geometrical Decorated tracery; buttresses with 2 off-sets, set back
at angle; north side 4 identical window bays; large 4-light west window; cusped
lancets to chancel (which is much lower than, and carefully distinguished from, the
nave); 3-light geometrical Decorated window. Crisp stonecarving to hood mould
terminals and numerous biblical texts, even on the buttresses.
Interior: tall, with arched-brace roof with kingposts; chancel arch of Heavitree
originally painted to resemble Beer stone. Contemporary furnishings. The church is
strikingly tall and makes an impressive contribution to the village scene.


Listing NGR: SY0124789067

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.