History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Offwell Village Pump Including Boundary Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Offwell, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7906 / 50°47'26"N

Longitude: -3.1432 / 3°8'35"W

OS Eastings: 319517

OS Northings: 99628

OS Grid: SY195996

Mapcode National: GBR LZ.ZHJ2

Mapcode Global: FRA 4790.39K

Entry Name: Offwell Village Pump Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 8 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1333305

English Heritage Legacy ID: 88782

Location: Offwell, East Devon, Devon, EX14

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Offwell

Built-Up Area: Offwell

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Offwell St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Widworthy

Listing Text



SY 19 NE OFFWELL OFFWELL

Offwell village pump including
3/112 boundary walls
-

GV II

Pump. Dated 1803, the boundary walls probably date from circa 1840. The pump is a
hollow Beerstone ashlar square section pier in Decorated Gothic style. Above the
spout on the front (south) is a sunken panel with cusped cinquefoil head. It has a
plain pyramid with crocketed corners. Around the capital there is a very worn
inscription but the date is legible at the back. The back has a wooden panel to
give access to the pump workings and the wrought iron pump handle projects from the
right (east) side. On the ground in front is a granite trough with chamfered
corners and soffit-moulded lip.
The pump is set alongside the road. The ground in its immediate vicinity is
terraced into the hillslope which is revetted by a flint rubble wall with front
Beerstone ashlar posts, square in section with pyramid caps.
This pump forms a group with other listed buildings in the centre of the village and
it, like most of the others, is probably the work of the Reverend E. Copleston,
Bishop of Llandaff and Dean of St Pauls.


Listing NGR: SY1951499625

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.