This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7572 / 50°45'26"N
Longitude: -3.1693 / 3°10'9"W
OS Eastings: 317617
OS Northings: 95946
OS Grid: SY176959
Mapcode National: GBR PB.HMST
Mapcode Global: FRA 4772.R48
Entry Name: Tedbridge Farmhouse
Listing Date: 8 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333320
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88742
Location: Farway, East Devon, Devon, EX24
Civil Parish: Farway
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Farway St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 19 NE FARWAY
3/71 Tedbridge Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa 1700, refurbished in the late C19, modernised and enlarged circa
1970. Local stone rubble with brick quoins and dressings; stone rubble and brick
stacks topped with C19 and C20 brick; thatch roof.
Plan and development: originally this was a 3-room central service room plan house
built on a flat valley bottom site facing south-south-west, say south. At the left
(west) end is the parlour with a gable-end stack. Next to it is the former service
room with a C19 rear lateral stack. Between this and the kitchen is a straight
flight stair. The kitchen originally had a gable-end stack but circa 1970 a former
woodshed outshot was rebuilt 2 storeys high and brought into domestic use.
Originally the central service room, probably the dairy/pantry was unheated. 2
storeys with C19 outshot to rear.
Exterior: overall 4-window front. The right end bay is the circa 1970 extension.
The rest is the main house and has brick quoins each end. This has late C19
fenestration, ground floor canted bay windows with thatch roof containing horned 4-
pane sashes and first floor 4-pane sashes. Left of centre is a C20 French window
and right of centre the front doorway which contains a C20 4-panel door and
contemporary thatch-roofed porch. Under the eaves towards the left end a date
plaque is set in the wall. It is inscribed 1720 and although this looks to be C20
the date could be that of the house. The roof is gable-ended. The rear outshot
contains some circa 1700 flat-faced mullion oak windows containing diamond and
rectangular panes of leaded glass. These are thought to be original windows from
the front of the house which were put here when the present front windows were
Interior: has late C19 and C20 joinery detail. Little carpentry is exposed. The
kitchen however has a chamfered crossbeam with runout stops. The fireplace here is
large with a chamfered oak lintel and oven. A cupboard to right is thought to have
been built into a former curing chamber. The parlour fireplace has a chamfered oak
lintel. Roof not inspected although the boxed in bases of straight principals from
A-frame trusses show on the first floor.
Listing NGR: SY1761795946
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings