This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7611 / 50°45'39"N
Longitude: -3.1748 / 3°10'29"W
OS Eastings: 317237
OS Northings: 96380
OS Grid: SY172963
Mapcode National: GBR PB.HD93
Mapcode Global: FRA 4772.GYZ
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 8 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104116
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88750
Location: Farway, East Devon, Devon, EX24
Civil Parish: Farway
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Farway St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 19 NE FARWAY CHURCH GREEN
3/79 The Old Rectory
House. Former rectory. Circa 1840-50. Local stone and flint rubble with some
Beerstone detail; the front is plastered; stone rubble stacks with plastered brick
divided chimneyshafts; slate roof.
Plan: the house faces south-south-west, say south, away from the lane and church.
The front block contains the 3 principal rooms. The left (west) one has a gable end
stack and the other two share an axial stack serving back-to-back fireplaces. The
centre and right room section is double depth. The rear section has a double roof
at right angles to the front roof. This includes the entrance hall and main stair
(there is no front doorway) and a service room heated by an axial stack. A 1-room
plan kitchen block projects east from the rear part, its roof the same axis as the
front block. It has a projecting gable-end stack. This block includes the former
parish room. 2 storeys. Restrained Tudor Gothic style.
Exterior: symmetrical 3-window front. The centre bay is broken forward a short
distance and is gabled. It has a ground floor canted bay window and a first floor
casement with hoodmould. In the gable above is an uninscribed shield-shaped plaque.
Either side are ground floor casement windows with hoodmoulds and first floor gabled
half dormers. Here, and around the rest of the house are mostly original mullioned
windows with hoodmoulds. The ground floor windows have transoms. Most contain
replacement glass but a couple of rear windows contain diamond panes of leaded
glass. The roofs are gable-ended with shaped kneelers and coping. The rear
elevation is less regular and includes a double gabled section.
Interior: not inspected but it is said to contain a great deal of original joinery
and other detail.
Listing NGR: SY1723796380
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings