This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7817 / 50°46'54"N
Longitude: -2.9994 / 2°59'57"W
OS Eastings: 329641
OS Northings: 98492
OS Grid: SY296984
Mapcode National: GBR PG.J5SL
Mapcode Global: FRA 47L0.Z5G
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87656
Location: Axminster, East Devon, Devon, EX13
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Axminster
Built-Up Area: Axminster
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Axminster St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
9/1/63 TRINITY SQUARE
11-AUG-50 (South side)
CHURCH OF ST MARY
Large parish church of Norman origin, though of the Norman period only a reset doorway survives. The piers of the crossing and the west parts of the chancel are circa early C13. Chancel has Early English four-light east window and two-light north and south windows. Nave has C19 square clerestory windows and five-light perpendicular early C15 west window above the west doorway. Chancel south aisle circa 1480 with reset Norman doorway with two orders of nook shafts and zigzag in the arch. North aisle and porch of 1525-30, the aisle with quatrefoil parapet, gargoyles and three-light windows with reticulated tracery. The two-storeyed north porch has external stairs. The south aisle built in 1800 also has three-light windows with reticulated tracery.
Large crossing tower rebuilt in C13 and restored in 1896. Three stages with thin set back buttresses embattled parapet and two-light bell-openings with flat heads. Polygonal stair turret on south west corner with battlements and weathercock.
Interior: four-bay north and south arcades of early C15 with foliated capitals, the capitals of north arcade replace in 1870 with carved angels. Early C14 stepped group of sedilia and piscina in chancel. Squints through crossing piers. Two C13 stone effigies in niches in north and south walls of chancel. Other monuments of circa 1800 by Gibbs of Axminster and Crane of London. Late C15 timber screen to chancel north chapel. Rebuilt reading desk and octagonal pulpit of 1633. Jacobean carved panels reworked into chair stall. Brass candelabra of 1750. Board of charities with entablature and pediment. C19 pews. Plastered segmental vaulted nave roof. Moulded timber chancel and aisle roofs.
Listing NGR: SY2964198492
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings