History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Livenhayes Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yarcombe, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8609 / 50°51'39"N

Longitude: -3.0831 / 3°4'59"W

OS Eastings: 323866

OS Northings: 107384

OS Grid: ST238073

Mapcode National: GBR M2.V0QB

Mapcode Global: FRA 46FT.NP1

Entry Name: Livenhayes Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Last Amended: 16 March 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1333714

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86721

Location: Yarcombe, East Devon, Devon, EX14

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Yarcombe

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Yarcombe St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Yarcombe

Listing Text

YARCOMBE
ST 20 NW
7/166 Livenhayes Farmhouse (formerly
listed as Livehayne)
22.2.55
GV II"

Farmhouse. Probably early C16 with major later and C17 improvements (the kitchen
refurbishment is dated 1662), some C19 modernisation. Local stone and flint rubble;
stone rubble stacks and Beerstone ashlar chimneyshafts; thatch roof, slate to rear
outshots.
Plan and development: 3-room-and-through-passage plan house facing south and built
down the hillslope. Uphill at the left (west) end is an unheated inner room which
is still used as a dairy. Next to it is the hall with an axial stack backing onto
the passage. Downhill at the right (east) end is the kitchen with a gable-end
stack.
The roofspace is inaccessible and therefore the early structural history of the
house cannot be ascertained. It certainly began as some form of open hall house and
was probably heated by an open hearth fire. The owner reports that the thatcher
noticed some smoke-blackened timbers in the roof. The chamber over the inner room
dairy jetties into the upper end of the hall. It may well be an original feature
and the doorway in the face of the partition is thought to have been for a ladder
access to the chamber from the hall. The hall stack was probably inserted in the
mid or late C16 and the hall was floored in the late C16 - early C17. The service
end was thoroughly refurbished to provide a kitchen in 1662 by Samuel Newbury
according to a plaque in the chimneyshaft.
The house is 2 storeys with secondary outshots to rear of the hall, passage and
kitchen.
Exterior: irregular 4-window front. Most are probably early C19 casements
containing rectangular panes of leaded glass but the kitchen has a replacement
casement with glazing bars. The dairy window is unglazed, covered with metal gauze
and has internal shutters. The other dairy windows are similar and that in the end
wall is probably C17; 2 lights with chamfered mullion. The first floor windows rise
a short distance into the eaves. The passage front doorway is right of centre and
contains a C19 part-glazed plank door behind a contemporary gabled hood on shaped
raking struts and is now argumented by a pair of timber posts. The front wall is
propped by a couple of C19 raking buttresses. The roof is half-hipped to left and
gable-ended to right.
Good interior: the dairy has a plain chamfered crossbeam. The partition between
the dairy and hall is plastered over but is evidently oak-framed. The hall has high
quality carpentry detail. The fireplace is blocked by a C19 grate but its large
size is evident and a fine overmantel is exposed carved out of the oak lintel; it is
moulded with an embattled crest. The ceiling is 6-panel of richly-moulded
intersecting beams and abuts the internal jetty at the upper end. The features of
the kitchen end all date from 1662. Along the lower (kitchen) side of the passage
is an oak plank-and-muntin screen. On the kitchen side the muntins are chamfered
with step stops over an oak bench. The crossbeam is chamfered with scroll stops.
The large kitchen fireplace is painted stone ashlar with an oak lintel and low
Tudor-arch head with a chamfered surround. The large oven with cast iron door was
rebuilt in the C19. The lintel is continued across a cupboard to right. This was
originally a walk-in curing chamber with an arched head cut into the lintel (this is
now hidden).
On the first floor the partition of the original jettied chamber is a closed truss
including an oak plank-and-muntin screen which includes the ladder access doorway; a
2-centred arch with moulded surround. The rest of the roof is carried on jointed
cruck trusses, one of which is plastered over. Without access to the roofspace it
is not possible to ascertain whether the trusses are all contemporary.
Livenhayes is a particularly good example of a late medieval farmhouse which was
modernised in the C16 and C17 to an unusually high standard.


Listing NGR: ST2386607384

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.