This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6491 / 50°38'56"N
Longitude: -3.4577 / 3°27'27"W
OS Eastings: 297041
OS Northings: 84281
OS Grid: SX970842
Mapcode National: GBR P3.5V1S
Mapcode Global: FRA 37NC.6R9
Entry Name: Powderham House
Listing Date: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333963
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85988
Location: Powderham, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Powderham
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Powderham St Clement, Bishop and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 98 SE
6/341 Powderham House
Former rectory. 1878 (datestone), for Sir Hugh Courtenay, the service wing largely
dismantled in the 1970s and rebuilt in the 1980s as a castellated single-storey
block. Grey limestone with Bath stone dressings ; 2 span gabled slate roof ; stone
stacks with stone and brick shafts. Tudor, stylistically conservative for the date.
Plan: Double depth main block, 2 rooms wide with an approximately central entrance on
the north side into an entrance hall containing a dogleg stair with landing. Drawing
room and dining room to the rear, looking south across the park of Powderham Castle ;
front left study, front right service room, probably the butler's pantry; the service
wing, adjoins at the west end.
Exterior: 2 storeys to the main block, service wing now single-storey and rebuilt
with masonry from demolished Starcross hospital. Asymmetrical 2 window entrance
(north) front with a gabled 2-storey porch with a moulded Tudor arched doorframe, C19
plank front door with ornamental ironwork and a 2-light first floor mullioned and
transomed stair window above, the lights with segmental arched heads. To the left, a
projecting stack with set-offs to the study, to the right, a gable to the front with
one ground and one first lfoor 2-light mullioned and transomed windows with square-
headed lights. The left return and south elevation also have mullioned and transomed
windows, the garden (south) elevation projects to the front at the left with a gable
and has a canted bay window to the right lighting the drawing room. The service
block, set back at the left end has 1980s castellations but preserves much of the
1878 wall including a moulded doorframe and plank door.
Interior: Original joinery including panelled doors with chamfered stopped detail ;
shutters ; skirting boards and a stick baluster sair with chamfered balusters and
moulded handrail. Plaster cornices also survive. The chimney pieces are late C20
replacements. Pretty 1878 floor tiling to the porch.
Listing NGR: SX9704184281
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings