This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6267 / 50°37'36"N
Longitude: -3.4473 / 3°26'50"W
OS Eastings: 297728
OS Northings: 81778
OS Grid: SX977817
Mapcode National: GBR P3.7BK9
Mapcode Global: FRA 37ND.YNL
Entry Name: The Courtenay Arms
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1333973
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85934
Location: Starcross, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Starcross
Built-Up Area: Starcross
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Starcross St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
KENTON THE STRAND, Kenton
14/269 The Courtenay Arms
11 11 52
Public House. Early C18 (information from owner) with late C18 alterations. Flemish
bond brick on a stone plinth, rendered and colourwashed to the front; slate roof,
hipped at ends; end stacks, front lateral stack with a brick shaft.
Plan: L plan, the main block fronting the road with a disused entrance on the front
and a single storey block at the left end, the rear right wing overlooking the railway which runs immediately behind the pub. The internal plan is rather altered.
Exterior: 2 storeys, single storey block at the left end of the main block.
Asymmetrical 2:4 window front with regular fenestration the main block with deep
eaves with a moulded and dentilled cornice, platband at first floor level. Porch in
the first bay from the right with a canopy on columns, door blocked. C18 sash
windows with segmental arched heads: 12-pane to the first floor, 2-pane to the ground
floor (which have lost some glazing bars), all with shutters. Courtenay coat of arms
in a stone frame with scrolled brackets above porch. The left end block (former
stable) has 2 16-pane sashes and 2 attic dormers. The rear elevation of the main
block and the inner return of the wing have similar cornices and platbands and 16-
pane sash windows with segmental arched heads with keyblocks and shutters with a
large oriel on brackets to the rear of the main block with a tripartite small pane
sash and 4 pane sashes to the returns. 2 attic dormers to the wing, one to the main
block. 1 ground floor window in the wing has been converted to a door. C20 glazed
porch in angle between wing and main block. The end of the wing is particularly
attractive with a 2 storey bow window with a moulded and dentilled cornice below the
bow parapet and a balcony with a cast iron railed parapet. The ground floor bow
window has 3 12-pane sashes, the first floor bow window 3 6 over 9 pane sashes.
Interior: Not thoroughly inspected. The ground floor of the main block is very
altered, but the wing retains C18 doors with fielded panels and an C18 stair with
turned balusters, an open string and flat handrail.
The old list description dates the building 1790 and describes the bow as added in
1790. Fanny Burney records dining at the Courtenay Arms in 1773, "we dined at an Inn
in a room which overlooked the river Ex", Sunday, Sept. 5th 1773.
Ellis, Annie Maine (ed), The Early Diary of Frances Burney, 1768-1778 (1913) vol 1 p
Listing NGR: SX9772881778
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings