History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Clyst St Mary, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7037 / 50°42'13"N

Longitude: -3.4473 / 3°26'50"W

OS Eastings: 297892

OS Northings: 90343

OS Grid: SX978903

Mapcode National: GBR P3.2BJQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 37N6.YM1

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1333994

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86155

Location: Clyst St. Mary, East Devon, Devon, EX5

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Clyst St. Mary

Built-Up Area: Clyst St Mary

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Clyst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Clyst Saint Mary

Listing Text

CLYST ST MARY CHURCH LANE
SX 99 SE
1/19 Parish Church of St Mary
-

- II

Parish church. Possibly C13 and C15; transepts added 1818; further extensions
1840; transepts lengthened, 1870; internal re-orientation, 1895-6 so that the south
transept became the chancel. Blocked stucco throughout; slate roof. Cruciform.
West tower; former nave and chanel now act as transepts, and former transepts (with
crossing) function as nave and chancel; north-east vestry. West tower with
battlemented parapet and pronounced string course; single stage with 2-light
square-headed belfry openings to all sides; the tower is encased within the width
of the (former) nave, probably widened circa 1840, and presents a symmetrical
entrance front framed by the coping to the lower part of the gable wall, and
diagonal buttresses with 2 set-offs. West door with hood mould and floriated
terminals, with window above containing 3 quatrefoils in roundels. Clock in stone
surround to north. All windows are C19, but date from 2 building schemes; 3-light
Decorated windows to north, south and east ends, with hood moulds and head
terminals, look earlier than the 2- or 3-light windows with no hood moulds, to
north wall of former chancel, and east and west walls of present chancel. Lean-to
vestry entered by north porch, gabled and flanked by lancet, the doorway chamfered
with trefoil head.
Interior: ceiled wagon roofs to present nave and chancel; boarded wagon to old
chancel. Chamfered stone arch to former chancel; wooden arch (1895-6) to present
chancel. Ritual east window with internal nook shafts, keeled, stiff-leaf
capitals. 5-bay wooden screen, Perpendicular style, circa 1895-6, was made
locally. The interior is notable for 3 C19 stained glass windows (ritual east, and
those to either side of nave), 1870s by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake, which are of
high quality.
References: B Cresswell, Deanery of Aylesbeare, pp.100-105 (unpublished typescript
in West Countries Studies Library); C19 Devon Churches Project.


Listing NGR: SX9789290343

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.