This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5484 / 50°32'54"N
Longitude: -3.5938 / 3°35'37"W
OS Eastings: 287175
OS Northings: 73281
OS Grid: SX871732
Mapcode National: GBR QS.BSD3
Mapcode Global: FRA 37CM.1QR
Plus Code: 9C2RGCX4+9F
Entry Name: Higher Mill and Millhouse
Listing Date: 21 June 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1334256
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85386
Location: Kingsteignton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Kingsteignton
Built-Up Area: Kingsteignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Kingsteignton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
KINGSTEIGNTON CROSSLEY MOOR ROAD, Kingsteignton
SX 87 SE
5/129 Higher Mill and Millhouse
Mill and millhouse. Largely late C18/early C19 but probably a remodelling of an
Whitewashed and roughcast; slate roof to miller's house, gabled at ends, other roofs
corrugated iron; axial and 2 left end stacks.
Double depth miller's house, 2 rooms wide with a central entrance into a stair hall.
A projection at the right end of the house contains the mill wheel which is powered
by a leat known as the Fairwater which continues through the centre of Kingsteignton
and also serves Lower Mill (q.v.). There is a 2 storey flat-roofed addition at the
rear left and behind that a single storey block. Rear right block with mansard roof
at right angles to the main range appears to be largely rebuilt. The building
sequence is difficult to unravel: a projecting stack on the left gable end of the
miller's house appears to be earlier than the details of the front elevation and the
single-storey block may also predate the C18.
3 storey miller's house. Symmetrical 3-bay front with a central front door, formerly
with a panelled doorhood, columns and glazed fanlight (1952 list description). The
ground floor windows are 12-pane sashes without horns; first floor window right
similar, first floor windows left and centre have been reglazed as 4 pane sashes but
in original embrasures. 3 first floor blocked or blind windows.
The left gable end, facing Crossley Moor Road, has end stacks both to the front and
the rear of the ridge, the rear stack projecting. This elevation has a first floor
16-pane sash without horns, a ground floor 4-pane sash probably replacing one with
smaller panes and a 2-light second floor casement, 3 panes per light. The single-
storey block adjoining at the rear has a 3 plank C17 or C18 door.
The overshot wheel is in a shallow projection at the right end of the main range. It
has an iron rim with timber spokes and buckets. The old list description referred to
"3 pairs of stones and a roller mill all worked off the wheel" (1952). Most of the
machinery is said to have been removed in order to restore another mill, any
machinery that survives has been cased into a room to which there is no access.
The mill was in use in 1952, the buildings are now in 2 occupations. Group value
with the Fairwater and No 19 (Thatchers) opposite.
Listing NGR: SX8717573281
Other nearby listed buildings