This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0826 / 54°4'57"N
Longitude: -0.1868 / 0°11'12"W
OS Eastings: 518711
OS Northings: 466702
OS Grid: TA187667
Mapcode National: GBR WP47.B8
Mapcode Global: WHHF7.3N93
Entry Name: Floral Pavilion
Listing Date: 6 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1334383
English Heritage Legacy ID: 439841
Location: Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire, YO15
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Bridlington
Built-Up Area: Bridlington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Bridlington Quay Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: York
707/7/320 ROYAL PRINCES PARADE
06-DEC-93 (North side)
Seafront pavilion, 1904, extended 1907 and circa 1960, altered late C20. Cast iron framework that is largely glazed. Slate roof covering to the western roof span is a later alteration that is not of special interest.
Three parallel roof spans with a shorter roof span at right angles, interrupting the easternmost span towards its centre. All roofs being hipped. Internal subdivisions are late C20 alterations that are not of special interest, nor are the extensions to the north and south of the building that are constructed in modern masonry.
External elevations of principal interest are the south and east which have decorative cast iron pillars with spandrel brackets supporting the deeply overhanging glazed roof. The spandrel brackets are of two main types: cast iron panels featuring a central flower head surrounded by vine work and a more open design of curving strap-work that appears to be fabricated rather than cast. The spaces between the pillars are infilled with glazed and timber screens, at least some of which can be folded back. These screens appear to be similar to those shown in early C20 photographs, although they are now largely part of the building dating to circa 1960. The north elevation is covered by a later extension and the west elevation has been remodelled in masonry with the glazed roof replaced in Welsh slate, although the ridge retains sections of original decorative cresting and two domed ventilators.
Throughout the interior, the cast iron structure with decorative pillars and spandrel brackets (similar to those described above) still survive, integrated into the later alterations of the building. At the time of the inspection the northern third of the building formed a children's soft play area. The southern two thirds formed a pub and night club, with the westernmost bay subdivided with inserted walls and added staircases forming offices and services areas. The remainder was open but divided up into different seating areas for the bar, with a number of cast iron street lights considered to be later introductions to the building.
The Floral Pavilion was built in 1904 as a public attraction on Bridlington's sea front. It was extended in circa 1907 to include the adjacent bandstand that is shown on the 1893 Ordnance Survey map and is thought to have originally been built in circa 1860. A popular venue noted for the quality of its orchestral concerts, the Floral Pavilion had a capacity of around 2000 people. In circa 1960 it was extended further towards the sea and the Victorian bandstand was rebuilt, probably in two stages as although the easternmost bay of the building is indistinguishable to the two Edwardian bays, the roof of the bandstand area is obviously modern. The masonry extensions to the north and south were added in the late C20, replacing Edwardian open fronted shelters.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The Floral Pavilion, built in 1904 with later additions, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Social Historic Interest: As a marker for the importance of early C20 mass tourism to Bridlington and as a reminder of the social historical importance of seaside tourism nationally.
* Rarity: Edwardian seafront pavilions are nationally rare and often ephemeral structures that have frequently undergone later C20 alteration.
* Intactness: Despite later alterations and a loss of decorative detail, enough of the original Edwardian structure (along with the well matched circa 1960 extension) survives to be of special interest.
* Retains Original Function: Its continued use for public entertainment maintains its original primary function.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings