This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0294 / 53°1'45"N
Longitude: -1.754 / 1°45'14"W
OS Eastings: 416593
OS Northings: 348039
OS Grid: SK165480
Mapcode National: GBR 48P.1CD
Mapcode Global: WHCF5.130Y
Plus Code: 9C5W26HW+Q9
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 13 September 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335265
English Heritage Legacy ID: 80312
Location: Mapleton, Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire, DE6
District: Derbyshire Dales
Civil Parish: Mapleton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ashbourne St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Derby
SK 14 NE PARISH OF MAPLETON ASHBOURNE ROAD
7/41 (East Side)
13.9.1967 CHURCH OF ST MARY
Church. Mid C18. Coursed limestone with sandstone dressings. West tower, nave
and chancel in one. West tower, plain lower stage with slit staircase windows
to north and south. West porch with flat hood and two Tuscan columns. Doorway
with semi-circular moulded arch with projecting keystone and imposts. Six
panelled, raised and fielded double doors. Shallow bell stage, divided by a
string band. Angle quoins and an elongated circular bell opening to each face.
Cornice above. Octagonal dome surmounted by a stone lantern. Nave and chancel
with quoins and cornice. North and south elevations each with three round-arched
windows with raised stone surrounds, imposts and keystones. Similar east window.
Plain interior altered in the C19. West gallery with panelled front, on two
slender iron columns. No division between the nave and chancel. Panelled dado.
Several C19 brasses on the north wall, to members of the Goodwin family. One
to Francis Goodwin 1808-1895 and one to Richard Goodwin-Gladwin 1895, signed by
James Hardman & Co of Birmingham. Stained glass in the east window 1926 by
A J Davies of the Bromsgrove Guild. Painted organ case.
Listing NGR: SK1659348039
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings