History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Shirebrook, Derbyshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2021 / 53°12'7"N

Longitude: -1.2159 / 1°12'57"W

OS Eastings: 452475

OS Northings: 367509

OS Grid: SK524675

Mapcode National: GBR 8DK.CDF

Mapcode Global: WHDFL.9S82

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 23 March 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335435

English Heritage Legacy ID: 79321

Location: Shirebrook, Bolsover, Derbyshire, NG20

County: Derbyshire

District: Bolsover

Civil Parish: Shirebrook

Built-Up Area: Shirebrook

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Shirebrook Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Mansfield Woodhouse

Listing Text

SK 56 NW TOWN OF SHIREBROOK CHURCH DRIVE
8/153 (South Side)
Church of the Holy
Trinity
II


Parish church. 1844 by Patterson & Hind of Nottingham, at a cost of £1000. This
part now the south aisle. Nave and chancel 1904, east wall 1958. Norman and Early
English styles. Coursed squared rock-faced sandstone and sandstone ashlar. Welsh
slate roofs and stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. Nave and chancel in one,
west narthex; nave and chancel of earlier church now forming south aisle and chapel.
South west porch and south vestry. West narthex across the width of the nave, set
between flying buttresses. Gabled central entrance bay has a doorway with an arch
of three chamfered orders. C20 glazed double doors. Flanked by buttresses turning
into polygonal turrets topped by foliage finials. Flanked in turn by pairs of trefoil
headed lancets. Openwork parapet with round arches, and outer buttresses gabletted
and panelled. Large tripartite west window of three stepped lancets with tracery of
bold quatrefoil motifs and blind quatrefoils either side of the taller lancet, with
cherubs heads set in. All set within a blind super arch and forming a kind of plate
tracery. Hoodmould with carved stops. Three stepped louvred lancet slits above
again. The north side has a narrow lean-to aisle of four bays divided by pilaster
buttresses. Plainly chamfered lancets, two to each bay of the aisle and groups of
three to the clerestory above. The south side has triplets of clerestory lancets as
to the north. Large gabled south aisle, the nave of the earlier church. Neo-Norman
style. Gabled bellcote with chamfered round arch, on the west gable. Gabled west
porch has a round-arched doorway of two chamfered orders to the south, and a
chamfered round-arched window to the west. Tall round-arched window above of two
chamfered orders and with a hoodmould. Pairs of blind, chamfered, round-arched
windows on each side. Lean-to bay between the porch and the early C20 nave, has one
chamfered round-arched window to the west. The south side has a continuous
chamfered sill band and four bays, each with a recessed panel divided by stop-
chamfered pilaster buttresses. A chamfered round-arched lancet to each bay. Rounded
corbels along the top of each panel. Gabled south vestry has a blind round arch to
the west and a chamfered round-arched window to the south. East end of the former
chancel has a broad round-arched window with a roll moulding on colonettes with
volute capitals. Bald plate tracery of three chamfered round-arched lights with a
circle above pierced by a small circle surrounded by a ring of small circles. The
main east wall was built in 1958, replacing a temporary east wall awaiting the
intended erection of a new chancel. Circular east window with tracery of three
ovals. Interior: The porch of the old church has an inner round-arched doorway with
roll moulding and one order of colonettes with volute capitals. The old church has a
round-arched chancel arch of two chamfered orders. The two naves are divided by two
broad double-chamfered pointed arches. Low circular pier with roll-moulded polygonal
capital and demi responds. Similar north arcade of four bays. The piers are banded
in contrasting coloured stone. Three bay west arcade of similar style but smaller
proportions. Chamfered and moulded chancel arch on semi-circular responds. Capitals
with naturalistic foliage. Many of the chancel furnishings date from the 1960s by
Frank Knight of Wellingborough. Brass eagle lectern dated 1904. Square neo-Norman
font on a base of five shafts and with colonettes in the cut-away angles of the
bowl, which bares the inscription In Nomine/Patris/et filis/Spiritus Sancti. Stained glass; two south windows of the early 1930s by Abbott & Co. of Lancaster. Brass
memorial tablet to Joseph Paget, died 1896, by Benham & Froud of London. Another to
Rev. John Cargill, died 1876, by Cox & Sons of London. Plain roofs. Royal Arms above
the west arcade, in cast metal and restored in 1966.


Listing NGR: SK5247567509

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.