This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9947 / 54°59'40"N
Longitude: -2.8883 / 2°53'17"W
OS Eastings: 343266
OS Northings: 567038
OS Grid: NY432670
Mapcode National: GBR 8B8P.HB
Mapcode Global: WH7ZJ.LQTC
Entry Name: Church of St Cuthbert
Listing Date: 16 January 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335549
English Heritage Legacy ID: 77924
Location: Kirklinton Middle, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6
Civil Parish: Kirklinton Middle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirklinton St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 46 NW KIRKLINTON KIRKLINTON
3/130 Church of St Cuthbert
Church. Dated 1845, but replacing medieval church and incorporating
re-positioned medieval features. Snecked red sandstone ashlar with rusticated
plinth; graduated slate roofs. 3 storey square west tower has angle buttresses,
string course and corbelled battlemented parapet: pointed-head lancets with
hood moulds. Nave of 6 bays has buttressed walls and angles: projecting gabled
porch to south wall has pointed-head arch with hood mould and oak plank doors.
Lancet windows with pointed heads and hood moulds between buttresses. Chancel
of one bay has angle buttresses, triple lancet east window with hood mould;
coped gable with kneelers and cross finial. Interior has inscribed and dated
dedication tablet. Tower arch, formerly the chancel arch, is C12 and of two
orders with bead and chevron decoration. Also from the original church are
heraldic tablets to the Appleby family of 1698 and early 1700's; three aedicule
monuments to members of the Dacre-Appleby family of 1729, 1738 and 1779. One
window of heraldic glass for Dacre-Appleby family, other windows of plain
diamond leaded panes, east window of early C20 stained glass. Pews, pulpit and
lectern are all late C19 or early C20; panelled and vaulted light oak roof.
Chancel steps of polished serpentine. Carved and guilded Royal Arms of Queen
Victoria at west end. Copper and wrought-iron oil lamps (still in use), in Art
Nouveau style, are probably by the Keswick School of Industrial Art.
Re-positioned piscina from the medieval church.
Listing NGR: NY4326667038
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings