History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirklinton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Hethersgill, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9979 / 54°59'52"N

Longitude: -2.8839 / 2°53'2"W

OS Eastings: 343552

OS Northings: 567392

OS Grid: NY435673

Mapcode National: GBR 8B9N.F6

Mapcode Global: WH7ZJ.NMXX

Entry Name: Kirklinton Hall

Listing Date: 10 September 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335577

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77877

Location: Hethersgill, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Hethersgill

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kirklinton St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Kirklinton

Listing Text

NY 46 NW HETHERSGILL KIRKLINTON

3/86 Kirklinton Hall

10.9.74 II

House. Core possibly of c1661 (using stone from nearby Levington Hall) for
Edmund Appleby, with extensive extensions of 1875 for the Kirklinton-Saul
family. Calciferous sandstone coursed rubble, with dressed stone and ashlar;
roof mostly removed, but graduated slate where it remains, stone chimney
stacks. 2 and 3 storeys, numerous bays in roughly E-shape. Core of 3 storeys,
5 bays with rendered front and 3 storey, 4 bay wing of coursed rubble facing
road. Central entrance renewed: round headed doorway flanked by twin Doric
columns on supporting plinth. Ground and first floor sash windows with
architraves and entablatures with pulvinated friezes. Left-hand window of
ground floor attached to a door. Second floor has square windows with wooden
casements, similar entablatures and friezes with shaped gables and modillion
eaves cornice, all added in 1875. Wing facing road had sash windows (now mostly
removed) and gable ends treated to match the Jacobean style additions. 1875
additions are 2 storeys with attic in ashlar. One wing matches that facing
road, the other is a very large L-shaped block added to it. The matching wing
has shaped gable ends, an escutcheon in the gable and shell niches above ground
floor entrance and first floor triple window (imparting to each a Venetian
window flavour). The short piece of the L which corresponds to the earlier
house, is 3 bays with projecting right-hand side and cornice above ground and
first floors. Shaped gable dormer with finial in centre. The long part of the
L has 5 symmetric bays and one at the south-west end. 3 window ashlar bow in
centre with balustraded parapet. Triple windows to second and sixth bays,
single to first, third and fifth. Shaped gable dormers to second, fourth and
sixth bays, first, third and fifth have plain segmental hoods. Rear of north-
west wing treated similarly in coursed rubble with central ashlar projection
flanked by 3-window bays. Empty and dilapidated at time of survey, roof being
stripped of slates.


Listing NGR: NY4355267392

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.