History in Structure

Church of St Kentigern

A Grade II* Listed Building in Irthington, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.9468 / 54°56'48"N

Longitude: -2.784 / 2°47'2"W

OS Eastings: 349876

OS Northings: 561634

OS Grid: NY498616

Mapcode National: GBR 9C07.1H

Mapcode Global: WH7ZS.6XJK

Plus Code: 9C6VW6W8+P9

Entry Name: Church of St Kentigern

Listing Date: 1 April 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1335584

English Heritage Legacy ID: 77896

ID on this website: 101335584

Location: St Kentigern's Church, Irthington, Cumberland, Cumbria, CA6

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Civil Parish: Irthington

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Irthington St Kentigern

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



9/101 Church of
St Kentigern

1.4.57 II*

Church. C12, with C14 alterations, renovations of 1849 by Bloxham of Rugby and
tower 1897 for James Carruthers. Chancel is mostly of dressed red sandstone
from the nearby Roman Wall, with C19 ashlar dressings, nave and tower of snecked
ashlar. Graduated slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles. 3-storey, north-
west square tower has pointed arch entrance and windows with hood-moulds;
louvred vents to bell chamber; angle buttresses, string courses, castellated
parapet and clock to north face. 5 bay nave is externally 1849: north and
south aisles have pointed lancets and hood-moulds: trefoil clerestory windows
with hood-moulds: west entrance has trefoil head in open pediment, with dog-
tooth decorations. 3 bay chancel has round-headed lancets and tripartite east
window in C12 walls: 1897 vestry to south wall. Interior of nave has 4-bay
arcades which Pevsner considers to be c1170, of rounded columns with square
abaci and rounded arches with one step and slight chamfer: pointed arch of
re-used stone to west, suggests nave was originally longer: capitals are carved
with stylized leaves, which have been partly cut away when the arcade was filled
and the aisles demolished in the C14 after destruction in a border raid. C12
chancel arch of 2 orders of columns with spur and crocket captitals, the
innermost order is a continuous roll and the arch has rolls and dog-tooth
decorations. Aisle windows have curvilinear leaded lights, with east windows of
early C20 stained glass. Open timber roof. Internal oak panelled porch of
mid-C19. C19 table font with 1911 brass cover, Cl9 carved Gothic pulpit and
brass eagle lectern: all other furnishings late C19 or early C20. Chancel has
C12 splays at east end, to north and south windows: other splays are C19 in
enlarged original openings. South door, now inside vestry, is C12 with round-
headed arch and incomplete dogtooth decoration. Omen timber roof and all other
furnishings late C19 or early C20. Mixed diamond leaded clear glass and late
C19 and early C20 stained glass to sides and east window. Churchyard retains
its gravestones in rows some of C18 and one as early as 1660's: an earlier
graveslab buried under armac path, but still partly visible.

Listing NGR: NY4987661634

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.