This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.3044 / 54°18'15"N
Longitude: -3.1969 / 3°11'48"W
OS Eastings: 322211
OS Northings: 490525
OS Grid: SD222905
Mapcode National: GBR 6L3N.NR
Mapcode Global: WH71Q.V2TJ
Entry Name: Blacksmiths Arms Public House
Listing Date: 25 March 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1335972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75814
Location: Broughton West, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA20
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Broughton West
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Broughton-in-Furness St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
1255/6/43 BROUGHTON MILLS
25-MAR-70 BLACKSMITHS ARMS PUBLIC HOUSE
Public house. Datestone inscribed WE 1748 with C20 additions.
MATERIALS: roughcast stone with slate roofs. Ridge and end stacks
PLAN: 2 public rooms either side of entrance corridor, former shop behind.
EXTERIOR: south elevation of 2 storeys and 4-bays. Left bay later addition. Ground floor has casement window with slate label to first bay. Triple sash window with single glazing bars and horns under labels to second and third bays, fourth bay has sash window with vertical glazing bars. 5-step mounting block at attached to fourth bay. First floor has sash window with glazing bars to first bay, sashes with vertical glazing bars to second and fourth bays, window with small paned fixed glazing with pivoted upper part to third bay. Entrance between third and fourth bays has original enriched latch, slate gabled canopy over round headed Date stone. North gabled bay and long outshut under catslide roof, varied fenestration and Victorian post box.
INTERIOR: Servery in room to right of corridor, bar counter and shelves behind of 1996. Room to left was formerly kitchen, large cast iron range in substantial stone fire surround with corbelled lintel. Fixed bench seating along S and E sides and part of N. Timber walls to corridors, 3-light window to rear corridor. Working gas lights in the 2 previous rooms. Slate flagged floors to these rooms and corridors.
A good example of a small rural public house that retains 2 largely unchanged public rooms. Kitchen demonstrates the way private and public use were intermingled in earlier times while former shop shows how the public house role was combined with other economic activity.
Listing NGR: SD2221190524
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings