History in Structure

Library and That Part of Village Hall Which Originally Constituted Denton Hill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gosforth, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.4186 / 54°25'6"N

Longitude: -3.4365 / 3°26'11"W

OS Eastings: 306884

OS Northings: 503523

OS Grid: NY068035

Mapcode National: GBR 4KFB.TT

Mapcode Global: WH711.56VG

Plus Code: 9C6RCH97+CC

Entry Name: Library and That Part of Village Hall Which Originally Constituted Denton Hill

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1336018

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76224

Also known as: Library and Village Hall
Denton Hill
Gosforth Library Link

ID on this website: 101336018

Location: Gosforth, Cumberland, Cumbria, CA20

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland

Civil Parish: Gosforth

Built-Up Area: Gosforth

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Gosforth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Tagged with: Public library Village hall Library building

Find accommodation in



27/26 Library & that part
of Village Hall which
9.3.67 originally
constituted Denton


House, now subdivided. Dated inscription in low relief on panel in frame
incorporating sill to right-hand 1st floor window of main block: 1628 IOHN ET
MARGRAT SHEARWEN (sic). Originally known as Gosforth Gate, the existing
building may incorporate part of the house of the same name mentioned in 1598.
Name changed to Denton Hill after a later owner. At the time of survey (July
1984) the ground floor east end of the building, including the rear wing, is
used as a library with the west end and upper floor used as an annex to the
adjoining early C20 Village Hall. Wet-dashed rubble with quoins visible.
Graduated slate roofs with rendered end chimneys. All 2 storeys; main block
taller, 3 bays. 2 plank doors side by side: Left-hand door (to library) has
large, fixed, C19 window to left; right-hand door (to hall) has C19 casement to
right. 1st floor has two 4-light (now with only central mullion remaining) and
one 2-light window. Continuous hoodmoulds to both floors. Lower bay to right
(originally part of Beck Place?, the property adjoining Gosforth Gate c1599)
retains original fire window with casement above. Original windows to both
floors and attic (re-glazed) on east return. East elevation of lower rear wing
is symmetrical, 3 bays, with two 3-light windows to each floor; central door
with false 4-centred head (shown in old photo) now blocked. Continuous
hoodmould to ground floor. All original window surrounds are chamfered.
Interior: Library front room has heavily beamed ceiling with stop-chamfered
beam and joists; C19 fireplace. Rear wing has inglenook fireplace with large,
chamfered firebeam and C18(?) fireplace. Remainder of Village Hall not of

Listing NGR: NY0688403523

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.