This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.275 / 51°16'29"N
Longitude: 0.1157 / 0°6'56"E
OS Eastings: 547668
OS Northings: 154997
OS Grid: TQ476549
Mapcode National: GBR LLJ.S3V
Mapcode Global: VHHPQ.Y6HY
Entry Name: Brasted Place and Saxon Cross
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1336432
English Heritage Legacy ID: 356912
Location: Brasted, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN16
Civil Parish: Brasted
Built-Up Area: Brasted
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Brasted St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
5280 BRASTED BRASTED
Brasted Place and
TQ 4755 2/47
TQ 45 SE 45/47 10.9.54.
Circa 1784. Designed by Robert Adam for John Turton, physician to George III.
Later additions. 5-bay Palladian villa of 2 storeys and basement. Slightly
projecting centre section under pediment with dentilled cornice and round window.
Ashlar sandstone masonry with patterned frieze to main entablature, double guilloche
first floor band and freestone basement plinth. 9 steps to tetrastyle porch
now glazed. Windows modern wood mullioned casements. 3-bay left return has
C19 1-storey canted extension and balustraded terrace. Rear elevation has coupled
corner Ionic pilasters and full height Ionic tetrastyle portico, opening to
terrace. Inside some original plaster reliefs remain in hall and drawing room;
and some ceiling and window enrichment. In situ 2 panels of Chinese wallpaper
depicting scenes of everyday life, the gift of George III who received it from
the Emporor of China. (Some removed to Kent Museum). In 1871 roof of house
raised to mansard form and round dormer windows inserted. Also Western additions
made, probably by Alfred Waterhouse, in French Renaissance style. A 3-window
link of 2 storeys, attic and basement, but at different levels from main house,
to taller, l-window pavilion. Slated mansard roofs, coursed rubble masonry.
Dormers round in link and pedimented in pavilion. Sash and casement windows
3-light in pavilion. Western extremity of 1871 wing now concealed by plain,
projecting modern extension; but on right return appears a tower of coursed
rubble masonry with ashlar dressings. 3 storeys and arched basement with entrance,
one window. Tall roof of reversed ogee shape, with fishscale slates octagonal
drum, open wood arcade and slated spirelet with vane. 2 high chimneys, linked
by stone arch, on roof of building behind. Date stone, with initialsWT at 2nd
floor level. New chapel building extends behind. In te wall is mounted a Saxon
cross, formerly set upon the rustic bridge to south-east. (Included in Sundridge
Listing NGR: TQ4767155002
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings