This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8464 / 51°50'47"N
Longitude: 0.9963 / 0°59'46"E
OS Eastings: 606482
OS Northings: 220666
OS Grid: TM064206
Mapcode National: GBR SNW.6PZ
Mapcode Global: VHKG7.7V2F
Entry Name: Ruins of Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337180
English Heritage Legacy ID: 120147
Location: Alresford, Tendring, Essex, CO7
Civil Parish: Alresford
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Alresford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
ALRESFORD FORD LANE
TM 02 SE (west side)
3/13 Ruins of Church of St.
Former parish church destroyed by fire 1971. C13 origin with C14 and C19
features. Plastered rubble walls, Roman brick and tile quoins, stone dressings.
Roofless, only the walls of the Chancel, Nave, North Porch and South Aisle
remain. Chancel. East wall with angle buttresses, 2 centred arch east window,
remains of quatrefoil tracery, label with king and queen stops. South wall
east window 2 centred arch, remains of tracery. Red brick jambs of former
doorway to west of this window. North wall. Two 2 centred arch windows with
trefoil tracery, between these windows a Caernarvon headed doorway. Nave. North
wall, two 2 centred arch windows, remains of tracery, buttress to east end. C14
2 centred arch north door, chamfered of 2 orders. Gabled north porch with 2
centred archway. West wall. Roman brick and tiled quoins, 2 centred arch
window. Label over. South aisle. West wall curved triangular window with
trefoil. South wall, to west a 2 centred arch doorway, to east two 2 centred
arch windows. East wall, C19 segmental headed doorway. Internally few
features remain there is a 2 centred arch piscina with quatrefoil drain to south
wall of Chancel. C19 coloured tiles and brick and stone floor tiles to
Sanctuary and Chancel. Brick window splays, stone jambs to Chancel arch. South
east wall of Nave has a Caernarvon headed doorway with corbel below, possibly
leading to C19 vestry or former rood loft stairs. There is a small blocked
roundel to north of west wall apex and traces of a similar roundel to south of
the apex and a red brick north jamb to south doorway. The south aisle western
angle has trefoiled stone panelling to plinth. Kelly's Directory 1912 states
the building was erected by Anfrey de Staunton circa 1300 as did appear by his
epitaph in Norman-French in the Chancel. RCHM 2.
Listing NGR: TM0648220666
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings