This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7039 / 51°42'13"N
Longitude: 0.2464 / 0°14'46"E
OS Eastings: 555322
OS Northings: 202956
OS Grid: TL553029
Mapcode National: GBR MGZ.340
Mapcode Global: VHHMP.7F3P
Plus Code: 9F32P63W+GH
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1337485
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117798
Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Ongar
Built-Up Area: Chipping Ongar
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Chipping Ongar with Shelley
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 5502 ONGAR HIGH STREET (E side)
9/83 Church of St. Martin
Church. Late C11. Chancel and Nave, built of coursed flint rubble with jambs
and quoins of brick, and some tile courses in walls. Dressings of Limestone.
Mid Cl4 the Chancel Arch was rebuilt. Church restored c.1884 and later when
South aisle, North Vestry and West Porch were added. An unusually complete
example of early date. Red plain tiled roofs with pierced ridge tiles and Cl8
hipped dormer windows to each side of Nave. The Cl5 Bell Turret at the West
end has 2 uprights, curved braces, and chamfered wall plates to W wall and 2
curved struts forming a 2 centre arch to S. The E main supports cut short at
level of Cl9 gallery. Weatherboard clad with shingle spire. Chancel. The Cl9
East window of 3 lights, has c.1300 splays with moulded 2 centre rear arch with
attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Moulded label and face stops
externally. Stained glass by Leonard Walker 1929. (Window of St. George in
S aisle also by him). Traces of original six lights in two tiers can be seen.
North wall with an original round headed window and one of 3, Cl6 lights of
brick with four centred heads in a recess. Between the windows, externallyis a
restored round headed opening with a small pointed opening with external hinges
and bolt socket, believed to be an anchorite hold. Cl9 door to Vestry. South
wall with round headed light uniform with that in N wall, and a Cl3 of 3
grouped, graduated lights under a chamfered segmental pointed rear-arch. To the
West and visible externally, is an original doorway, now blocked, of one plain
order, with round arch and moulded imposts above which is a tiled
relieving arch. Cl4 2 centred Chancel Arch of 2 orders, the chamfered responds
with large, attached, semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases.
Piscina late Cl3 with 2 centred head, chamfered jambs and fluted basin. There
is a marble slab to Jane Pallavicini and her son Horatio; she was the daughter
of Sir Oliver Cromwell, uncle of the Protector. Also slabs to Robert and Anne
Hill and Anne Greatheard. A marble monument on the South wall to Mrs. Mitford
1776 by Nollekens. Early Cl8 altar rails with twisted balusters and dentilled
soffit to rails. The Chancel roof has 4 different roof systems, the most recent
has 3 pendants one of which is dated W.S. 1647. Others of seven cants with
V struts above the collars, or scissor braced. See" Church Carpentry." C.A.
Hewett, 1974. The Nave with 4 two centred Cl9 arches to S aisle. North wall
has 5 windows, three of which are Cl9, of 2 lights with cusping and tracery
over with moulded labels and stops. One original and one blocked original plus
traces of a third original round head window. The N. doorway is now blocked and
has remains of semi-circular rear arch, external jambs and a fragmentary
relieving arch of tiles. Cl9 gabled west Porch, door and window, above this
window is an original round head light, flanked internally are the remains of
2 other original windows which were partly cut away when the gable was lowered.
The Cl5 nave roof is of 7 cants with collar purlins and cross quadrate
crownposts, traceried spandrels to cambered tie beams braces. Stone face
corbels to wall posts. There is an organ gallery with tread and riser stairs
and solid frame baluster, the front is panelled and supported by 2 pillars with
octagonal bases and capitals. Dentilled cornice to frieze. The panelling has 2
fluted pilasters and dentilled and moulded cornice. The Cl9 South Aisle has
a leaded roof, 7 two centre head windows, stone dressed, with continuing band
over windows and 2 centre boarded door with ornate hinges and moulded stone
surround with label and face stops. Stone coping to parapet. Roof with centre
purlin with bosses to alternate rafters, and carved angels to alternate rafter
feet. Stoup east of north door in Nave, with round head and chamfered jambs.
Pulpit of oak, hexagonal with moulded top and jewel and arabesque ornamentation.
Cl6. The Font, reputed to be Cl5, square, with corner pillars and curved braces
to a centre panel with 2 cusped trefoil head lights to each face on a modern
base. 2 heavily carved, six leg low tables. Silver gilt chalice and paten
1728 with a similar plate 1705 and flagon 1729. RCHM 2.
Listing NGR: TL5532202956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings