This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7538 / 51°45'13"N
Longitude: 0.5285 / 0°31'42"E
OS Eastings: 574622
OS Northings: 209152
OS Grid: TL746091
Mapcode National: GBR PK7.VW2
Mapcode Global: VHJK3.35RV
Plus Code: 9F32QG3H+GC
Entry Name: Boreham House
Listing Date: 29 December 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338403
English Heritage Legacy ID: 112442
Location: Boreham, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Boreham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Boreham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. BOREHAM MAIN ROAD
5213 (South Side)
TL 7409 28/3 29.12.52.
Designed by James Gibbs and executed by Edward Shepherd for Benjamin Hoare,
the owner of New Hall who removed some of the finest fittings from the Hall
to his new house. The house had a number of alterations in the early C19 when
Thomas Hopper added the grand carriage entrances to the left and right of the
house. (Circa 1812). The house is built of dark brown brick with stucco dressings
and comprises a central block of 2 storeys, attics and basement and flanking
single storey wings with triumphal arched carriage entrances at the north-east
and south-west ends. The main block has a moulded and modillioned stucco cornice
and a balustraded parapet with ball finials at intervals around the facades.
The north-west and south-east facades have 7 window range, arranged 2:3:2.
The centre part, of 3 window range, breaks forward slightly and is surmounted
by a modillioned pediment with a Diocletian window in the tympanum on the north-west
front and 1 large and 2 small flanking circular windows on the south-east front.
The north-east and south-west facades have 3 window range. The windows are
double-hung sashes with glazing bars, with stucco moulded and shouldered architraves
the ground storey windows have alternate segmental and triangular pediments.
On the north-west front there is a large early C19 tetrastyle Tuscan portico
2 columns deep, with plain columns, cornice and a balustraded parapet. The
south-east front has a central pedimented doorway opening on to a flight of
balustraded stone steps. The side wings have 3 window range on the north-west
front and balustraded parapets with ball finials. The end carriage entrances
have central stucco moulded arches and keystones, paired plain Tuscan columns
and a balustraded parapet with urns. The interior has 2 splendid rooms, the
entrance hall and the saloon, with elaborate enrichment including pedimented
doors and a fireplace with Caryatids, The staircase, with heavy cast iron railings,
is early C19.
Listing NGR: TL7462209152
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings