This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5946 / 54°35'40"N
Longitude: -2.0082 / 2°0'29"W
OS Eastings: 399568
OS Northings: 522161
OS Grid: NY995221
Mapcode National: GBR GHF9.1Q
Mapcode Global: WHB45.3SZ1
Entry Name: Romaldkirk House, Glazed Walkway and Rear Yard Walls to Left
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Last Amended: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338581
English Heritage Legacy ID: 111322
Location: Romaldkirk, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Romaldkirk
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
ROMALDKIRK THE GREEN
NY 9922 (North side, off)
29/150 Romaldkirk House,
19/1/52 glazed walkway and
rear yard walls to
left (formerly listed
as The Rectory)
Former Rectory, now private house, with glazed walkway and curved rear yard
walls to left. Altered C17 L-plan core (a Tudor-arched doorway was briefly
revealed c.1960) with early C18 and C19 additions; garden front refaced c.1825;
walkway and yard walls c.1860. Squared and rubble sandstone. Stone-flagged
roofs. Stone chimney stacks. L-plan with added double range to right.
2-storey garden front. Projecting central bay flanked by 3-bay wings; right
wing slightly taller. Pair of partly-glazed 3-panel doors, in chamfered doorway
with alternating jambs, in right bay of left wing. Central tripartite ground-
floor window; other windows are 12-pane sashes in moulded surrounds. Paired
stone gutter brackets. Roof, with coped gables and shaped kneelers, is hipped
over centre bay.
Rear: early C18 range parallel to right wing: tripartite ground-floor window,
in architrave, with segmental-headed centre light; two segmental-headed 21-pane
sashes, with thick glazing bars,in architraves, above. 2-storey added outshut
on rear of old left wing.
Interior: 2 bolection-moulded stone fireplaces, with corniced lintels, in
first-floor bedrooms; late C18 patterned cast-iron grate in nursery; several 6-
panel doors; c.1825 fittings include spacious staircase hall with roof light,
single-flight staircase with stick balusters and ramped handrail, and first-
floor landing corridor with elliptical archways at either end.
Glazed walkway, attached to left part of garden front, has 7 square stone
pillars supporting a glazed monopitch roof. Two tall curved yard walls,
attached to rear of walkway, enclose a turning circle for coaches.
History: the home of the Rev. Reginald Bligh, a cousin of Capt. Bligh of the
Listing NGR: NY9956622163
Other nearby listed buildings