This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0338 / 51°2'1"N
Longitude: 0.5038 / 0°30'13"E
OS Eastings: 575652
OS Northings: 129037
OS Grid: TQ756290
Mapcode National: GBR PV3.263
Mapcode Global: FRA C6YD.23L
Plus Code: 9F322GM3+GG
Entry Name: Bedgebury Lower School lillesden with Terraces
Listing Date: 22 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1338742
English Heritage Legacy ID: 169668
Location: Hawkhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN18
Civil Parish: Hawkhurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
1351/18/318 HASTINGS ROAD
22-JUN-89 (West side)
Lillesden with terraces
Bedgebury Lower School
House now school. 1855 for Col Edward Lloyd. Red brick with ashlar details and some polychrome brick details. Slate roofs. Main range with attached service wing, in eclectic mixed Romanesque, Gothic, French Chateau styles.
EXTERIOR: Two storeys, basement and attic, with plinth, string course to gabled roof with moulded barge- boards and finials. Central projecting double towered entrance, with pavilion roof and balustrade between 2 towers with small spires. Finialed spirelets to dormers left and right, semi-dormer to left and small projecting spire to right. Stacks to left, to right and to end right. Irregular fenestration of 4 segmen-tally headed sashes to left, 2 to centre and 2 to right, all at varying levels. Central round-arched doorway with keyed moulded surround and attached shafts, with paralleled inner door, with enriched semi-circular tympanum and sidelights. Left return with 2 gabled projections with 2 storey canted bays, stepped back to upper floor, with central paired sashes, French windows to ground floor. Rear elevation ith irregularly projecting ground floor, segmentally headed sashes on first floor, finialed hipped dormers. Service wing attached at left of 2 storeys, with projecting gabled wing to centre, central clock tower with spire, and 2-storey and attic range at end left, the upper storey jettied and carried on angled, enriched wooden struts; small entrance courtyard at end left with capped gate piers. Segmentally headed sashes throughout, except adjoining the main house, where a segmentally headed door has over it paired round-headed windows with central quatrefoiled roundel under hoodmould. Rear ground floor projecting with arcade of 6 paired round-headed French doors and pierced balsutrade and projecting 2 storey gabled wing with canted bay. Garden terraces attached to right return elevation, with sandstone walls about 3 feet high with raised corner piers and simple stone flights of stairs, returned to rear elevation to large terrace, the walls forming a fall of some 8 feet with scrolled end piers and cornice parapet to the retaining wall.
INTERIOR: Arched screen from garden entrance to stair hall, the arched doorways throughout the house with soffits enriched with geometric patterns. Staircase on dog-leg and half landing plan, with 2 arched openings on landing, one to corridor, the other with a mirror, both with paired round-headed windows over with stained glass. Stone balustrade and parapet, pierced with roundels with deep relief foliage, and with brass handrail. Arcaded screen to top lit upper landing, the round arches enriched and on central pier with enriched capital. Niches to left and to right of half landing at one time contained statues signed E G Papworth, 1861 and 1862 (probably the elder E G Papworth) but these statues were removed and sold in 2003.
HISTORY: Lillesden was the seat from at least the late C16 of the Chittenden family, clothier, their house demolished by Colonel Lloyd, High Sheriff of Kent, 1876, prime mover of building of the Moor Schools (Joseph Clarke, architect) in 1863.
Listing NGR: TQ7564929037
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings