History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

South Stoneham House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swaythling, City of Southampton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9367 / 50°56'12"N

Longitude: -1.377 / 1°22'37"W

OS Eastings: 443871

OS Northings: 115433

OS Grid: SU438154

Mapcode National: GBR RVH.N9

Mapcode Global: FRA 860M.MCH

Entry Name: South Stoneham House

Listing Date: 14 July 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1340008

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135961

Location: Southampton, SO18

County: City of Southampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Swaythling

Built-Up Area: Southampton

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Swaythling, Southampton St Alban

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
South Stoneham

Listing Text

5239 Swaythling

South Stoneham House
SU 41 NW 7/264 14.7.53


Built in 1708, almost certainly by Nicholas Hawksmoor. The manor house of
South Stoneham was built for Edward Dummer and became a University Hall of
Residence after the first world war. There are some alterations of circa
1900. Three storeys red brick with raised rubbed brick band of 9 courses
at ground floor level. Similar band and moulded stone cornice at second floor
level of cills. Tall attic embracing second floor with moulded stone coping
and small central pediment supported on stone triglyphed and modillioned broken
entablature. Hipped old tiled roof in 5 hips. Seven original window openings
with modern windows on second floor. Nine tall narrow windows with wide frames
on first floor, stone cills and deep rubbed arches. Eight windows including
2 on the left-hand side of the door altered in the late C18 and a glazed central
door in heavy moulded and coved architrave with acanthus console brackets
at 45 degrees to the wall face supporting a moulded cornice breaking round
brackets with carved keystone, all painted stone. The doorcase is covered
by a modern brick Doric porch. Later extension the full height of the building
to the left-hand side. The attic storey has been extended by one bay each
side at a later date. Two modern wings flank the original building of red
brick. The south front is the same design but has a large 2 storey half octagonal
bay in the centre, 3 windows on the first floor of the bay. Two windows and
central glazed door on the ground floor of similar design to the north door,
approached by 4 Portland steps with Portland stone balustrading. Four cast
lead rainwater heads, 2 on the north and 2 on the south front with the inscription
The interior contains a contemporary staircase with carved tread ends, with
scroll, flower and leaf decorations. Three twisted balusters to each step
and moulded hand rail. The staircase hall has an C18 ceiling with painting
of pelicans, trumpets and swags. There is panelling to dado level. The Music
Room has a cornice with swags and patterae and a marble fireplace with cupids,
urns and swags.

Listing NGR: SU4518915058

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.