This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7598 / 51°45'35"N
Longitude: -2.2321 / 2°13'55"W
OS Eastings: 384076
OS Northings: 206816
OS Grid: SO840068
Mapcode National: GBR 1MC.LHL
Mapcode Global: VH94Y.81B8
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 24 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1340396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132786
Location: Whiteshill and Ruscombe, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Whiteshill and Ruscombe
Built-Up Area: Stroud
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Whiteshill St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 80 NW WHITESHILL THE PLAIN
3/227 Church of St Paul
Parish church. 1839-41 by Thomas Foster of Bristol; transepts
added 1882. Ashlar limestone; concrete tile roof. Nave with
apsed chancel and west tower; north and south transepts. Neo-
Norman style. Nave and transept walls divided by pilaster
buttresses, nave with 3 round arched windows and linking hoodmould,
west bay to each side with false doorway, moulded and round-arched
with attached jamb shafts having scalloped capitals, blank
tympanum; Lombard frieze, with carved heads to west bay. Parapet
gabled ends to transepts with Norman style triplets, round window
above. Apsed east end with pilasters, small round arched windows
and plainer version of frieze. Square west tower with moulded
round arched west doorway and tall round arched window above.
Triple arcade to belfry with small openings having stone louvres;
2 corbelled string courses and crenellated parapet.
Interior: plain wide nave with 6-bay trussed roof. Tall round
tower arch. Two-bay round arched arcades to transepts, south with
c1938 glazed screen by Peter Waals. Plain moulded round chancel
arch above raised choir with tiled floor and brass choir rail.
Shouldered arch to raised pulpit to left of chancel arch, octagonal
Norman style pulpit front. Arcaded apse with murals by Emily and
Rose Stanton, completed 1905. C19 pews with Norman style fronts.
Much stained glass - mostly late C19.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Stroud' in V.C.H. Glos xi, 1976, pp. 99-145; and
D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SO8407606816
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings