This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6417 / 51°38'30"N
Longitude: -2.369 / 2°22'8"W
OS Eastings: 374564
OS Northings: 193724
OS Grid: ST745937
Mapcode National: GBR 0MD.1WJ
Mapcode Global: VH957.WZHT
Entry Name: Bradley Court
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341521
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128047
Location: Wotton-under-Edge, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL12
Civil Parish: Wotton-under-Edge
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Wotton-under-Edge with Ozleworth
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
WOTTON UNDER EDGE
ST 79 SW BRADLEY GREEN
238/2/181 BRADLEY COURT
Also Known As: BERKELEY MANOR, BRADLEY GREEN
The following item shall be upgraded to Grade II*:
Bradley Court, Bradley Green, Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucs
Manor House. Dated 1559 over entrance. Rendered roughcast, limestone window surrounds, coping, finials and chimney stacks, stone slate roofs. Southern entrance front with four main gables, gabled two storey central entrance porch and flanking symmetrical polygonal stair towers. Two storeys with attic, cellar to western part. Two storey addition to north of c.1800. Single storey addition to east. Fenestration is a combination of two-and three light mullioned windows, with six over six pane sash windows to the ground floor of the west side of the house and to the northern extension; Gothick ogee-headed glazing to the sash windows of the first floor northern elevation. Porch sports date stone in gable apex inscribed ANNO DNI 1559 below a ball finial. Entrance door of studded oak planks with heavy hinges and cover strips.
INTERIOR: Plan is one room deep, retaining its original screens passage lay-out, with later northern and eastern extensions. Numerous features survive in situ, including cupboards, shutters and doors. Stone-flagged cellar with barred square window openings. Two circular wooden stairs with plain circular newels, some treads replaced with boards. Fielded panelling to entrance hall, with depressed arch opening into library, the chimneypiece of which has been introduced recently; bolection doorcase to kitchen passage; Stone kitchen chimneypiece with keystone of c.1700. Music room in rear extension has a high ceiling enriched with a central rose, and cornice with guilloche and acanthus leaf ornament; limestone Rococo chimneypiece recently introduced. Rear stairs in north extension with turned columnar newels and square rails. First floor features include fielded doors, panelled rooms, a stone four-centred arched fireplace, c1700 stone chimney pieces. Continuous attic with part-exposed roof trusses.
HISTORY: Bradley Court belonged to the Berkeley family until 1611. This manor house replaced an earlier moated house some distance to the north. The house was acquired by Thomas Dawes (d.1713)in 1692 who was responsible for carrying out alterations to the house and grounds. The house was extensively conserved in 1984 by Rory Young.
LITERATURE: Robert Atkyns, 'The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire' (1712), 854; E.S. Lindley, 'A History of Wotton-under-Edge', 308-13; Nicholas Kingsley, 'The County Houses of Gloucestershire I: 1500-1660''(Cheltenham 1989), esp. 64-65.
Listing NGR: ST7456493724
Other nearby listed buildings