This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0064 / 52°0'22"N
Longitude: -2.3552 / 2°21'18"W
OS Eastings: 375712
OS Northings: 234275
OS Grid: SO757342
Mapcode National: GBR 0GY.5CY
Mapcode Global: VH93J.4T7S
Entry Name: Bromsberrow Place
Listing Date: 2 October 1954
Last Amended: 17 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1341928
English Heritage Legacy ID: 125819
Location: Bromesberrow, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, HR8
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Bromesberrow
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Bromsberrow St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 73 SE
6/2 Bromsberrow Place
(formerly listed as part of
Bromsberrow Place with stables
2.10.54 and lodge)
Country house. Third quarter C18 by Ferdinando Stratford for R.D.
Yate; reconstructed c1825, probably by Basevi for Osman Ricardo.
Render lined as ashlar, slate roof. Seven-window, 2-storey front,
2-room deep, rear 3-storey in same height, short wing on left at
back; single-storey wing left front. Entrance front Greek
Revival; projecting centre, single-storey porch and front, 4
fluted Doric columns, plain cornice, flat roof: behind 6-panel
double doors, eared architrave, single-light marginal light window
each side and in returns. Either side paving against wall, plain
plinth, string course at sill level; to left 3 sashes, to right
three 2-light casements, each with blind box with 3 lozenges on
face, all in plain surround, supporting moulded cornice over each.
Ends rusticated slight projection, as base for plain paired
pilasters first floor. Left bay marginal light window in
rustication, one above other. Above, plain string course; three
16-pane sashes each side a little above, surround and cornice as
below; centre 2-light casement, plain surround, pediment over.
All first floor windows sliding louvred shutters in frame rising
from string course. Plain cornice and parapet above; centre taken
up square, balustrade to front between plain end blocks, centre
block with fielded panel. Roof hipped at ends; chimneys on ends
and either side centre on right. On left projecting wing, 3 sash
windows between plain pilasters, wall carried up as high parapet to
hide billiard room rooflight. Rear: slightly inset centre,
central half-glazed door up 2 stone steps, 2 fielded panels below,
fielded panels to reveals, architrave, consoles to pediment. Sash
window each side, over semi-circular covers to cellar openings. On
left lower 2 floors covered by conservatory: brick wall projects,
forming its back; on right half-glazed door down 2 steps,
rectangular fanlight, sash beyond. On right projecting wing, 2
sashes in end. First floor 3 sashes in recessed centre, 2 each
projection on right: moulded string above. Second floor three 6-
pane sashes centre, plain surrounds, supporting moulded cornice
over each: 2 sashes either side and in projecting wing. Cornice
and plain parapet above. Conservatory: 8 bays at garden,
attenuated cast-iron fluted Doric columns with plain cast-iron
cornice, up 2 stone steps; between columns tall glazed doors with
low, panelled bases. Glass roof above. Internally stone paved
floor, no trusses, iron ties across at intervals.
Interior: main entrance, 3 bay Corinthian screen, columns between
piers, 2 steps up. Panelled dado, plaster panelling and moulded
cornice above: 6-fielded panel doors, moulded architraves,
acanthus and shell cornice. Drawing room to right: fluted dado
rail, moulded plaster cornice: fluting to fielding on panels in
doors and shutters: leaf frieze over door surround. Fireplace
paired column ends, capitals 2 tiers flat acanthus with rams' heads
as Corinthian variant: cornice decorated swags and lyres.
Cambered arch in end wall, palmettes in spandrels, semi-circular
niches in sides, French doors to Doric porch beyond. Dining room
to left, moulded dado rail, fluted fielding to door and shutter
panels; door surround as drawing room. Cornice with alternating
urns and scrolls. Fireplace grey marble, tapering panelled
pilasters to sides, ornate cast-iron grate. Above large mirror in
simply moulded gilt surround. End bay marked off by paired
unfluted Corinthian pilasters each side, echoed on end wall.
Billiard room beyond, moulded plaster cornice: probably later
varnished fielded dado panelling and shutters. Circular stair hall
beyond main hall: moulded handrail ramped to newels, turned
balusters with square knobs, cut string with fretwork ends to
treads: octagonal opening for rooflight, rectangular one since
superimposed. Panelled plaster ceiling below with small repeated
pointed cross-vault cornice below. Six-panel doors off, eared
surrounds in corridor to right. Fireplace over entrance hall eared
surround, scrolls up outside, carved head in centre of lintel, bow
and quiver crossed behind, leaves each side. Rear hall behind
stairs 2 elliptical arches towards front, panelled soffits: dogleg
stair with winders to rear first floor, turned balusters, cut
string, moulded handrail. Originally Hook Farm, rebuilt as
Bromsberrow Place for R.D. Yate after 1760 (1772 on one reset
rainwater head), completed by his son. Front refaced and
conservatory added c1825.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1978; S.
Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire, 1779; R. Bigland,
Collections relative to County of Gloucester, 1791; B. Little, in
Gloucestershire Countryside, Nov. 1961.)
Listing NGR: SO7571234275
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings