History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Place and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in King's Cross, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5273 / 51°31'38"N

Longitude: -0.129 / 0°7'44"W

OS Eastings: 529890

OS Northings: 182591

OS Grid: TQ298825

Mapcode National: GBR H6.6P

Mapcode Global: VHGQS.QW51

Entry Name: The Place and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 1 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1342089

English Heritage Legacy ID: 477148

Location: Camden, London, WC1H

County: London

District: Camden

Electoral Ward/Division: King's Cross

Built-Up Area: Camden

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Pancras with St James and Christ Church St Pancras

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Finsbury

Listing Text


CAMDEN

TQ2982NE DUKE'S ROAD
798-1/89/348 (East side)
01/08/97 No.17
The Place and attached railings

GV II

Drill hall, now the headquarters and theatre of a contemporary
dance trust. 1888-9. By RW Edis. For the 20th Middlesex
(Artists') Rifle Volunteers. Built by Charles Kynoch and
Company of Clapham. Yellow stock brick with terracotta
dressings. Slated gabled roof with crested ridge tiles, 4
pedimented dormers flanking a central Flemish gable with a
pediment and chimney-stack; tall brick end stack. Moulded
terracotta eaves forming rainwater heads between dormers.
EXTERIOR: symmetrical facade, with slightly projecting central
bay, in Queen Anne style. 2 storeys, attics and basement. 5
windows. Central entrance with a fine terracotta doorcase
having banded pilasters supporting an entablature inscribed
"20th Middlesex Artists R.V." and broken pediment with fine
unusual cartouche medallion depicting heads of Mars and
Minerva in profile by Thomas Brock. Part-glazed double doors.
Terracotta-architraved sashes, the ground floor with mullions,
1st floor with transoms and mullions; both with cornices and
aprons. Continuous terracotta attic floor and sill bands,
forming brackets and rainwater heads at angles. Central attic
window with enriched terracotta head.
INTERIOR: simple. Staircase panelled to half-height and arched
at landings.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings to areas.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Artists' Rifles was founded in 1859 by
Edward Stirling, a student at Carey's School of Art. The first
CO was the painter Henry Wyndham Philips and its early
membership included Leighton, Millais, Rossetti, Morris,
Watts, Val Prinsep and Burne-Jones. It originally consisted of
2 companies, one of painters and one of musicians and was the
best known of the hundreds of volunteer units raised. The
architect, Sir Robert William Edis, was also colonel; the
building was opened by the Prince of Wales. Included for its
historical associations as well as for the quality of its
terracotta and sculptural enrichment.


Listing NGR: TQ2989082591

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.