This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5272 / 51°31'37"N
Longitude: -0.13 / 0°7'48"W
OS Eastings: 529817
OS Northings: 182578
OS Grid: TQ298825
Mapcode National: GBR G6.ZQ
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.PWM4
Entry Name: Church of St Pancras
Listing Date: 10 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379062
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478428
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: King's Cross
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras with St James and Christ Church St Pancras
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2982NE UPPER WOBURN PLACE
798-1/89/1657 (East side)
10/06/54 Church of St Pancras
Church. 1819-22. By H and HW Inwood, restored 1951-3. Portland
stone with stone coloured terracotta detailing. Single storey,
rectangular plan; nave of 6 bays plus vestibule with tower over
and portico at west end; east end with apsidal sanctuary and
rectangular tribunes to north and south. Greek Revival style,
general plan and form influenced by St Martin-in-the-Fields,
but rich detailing influenced by, and in some cases copied from,
casts of the Erechtheum, Athens.
EXTERIOR: west end, hexastyle Ionic portico approached by 2
steps. 3 trapezoid architraved doorways with heavy, panelled
wooden doors. All heavily enriched. 4-stage tower over
vestibule, a free adaptation of the Tower of the Winds, with
octagonal ashlar drum, columns supporting an octagonal
entablature, repeated above in diminished scale and surmounted
by an octagonal drum with cornice and pointed finial with a
North and south facades with trapezoid, architraved, recessed
windows, smaller similar windows below, Ionic half columns
marking the vestibule and palmette brattishing above the
cornice. Projecting near the east end, rectangular tribunes
facing north and south; each with Ionic portico supported by 4
caryatids copied from the Erechtheum by John Rossi (formerly a
modeller at Coade's Manufactury) built up in terracotta pieces
around cast-iron columns; behind the caryatids, a sarcophagus.
2 leaf doors with roundels in the high podium. Apsidal east
end with tetrastyle in antis Ionic half columns supporting an
entablature and trapezoid, architraved, recessed windows. One
similar window each side of the apse, to the nave, and one
similar but smaller window to each east facade of the
INTERIOR: entrance via the west end through an octagonal
vestibule corresponding with the tower above and ceiled over a
ring of dwarf Doric columns standing in a frieze. Nave has
flat, coffered ceiling with galleries supported on lotus
columns around 3 sides. Apse with 6 verd-antique scagliola
Ionic columns on marble podium in the curve of the apse. Some
early memorial tablets in Grecian style. Clerk's vestry in the
north tribune with Ionic columns supporting an oval ceiling.
Fine mahogany pulpit carried on 4 Ionic columns. High altar,
1914 by Adams & Holden. Stained glass by Clayton and Bell.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the earliest Greek Revival church in London,
built as part of the southern expansion of St Pancras and
superseding the parish church, St Pancras Old Church, Pancras
(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood, St
Pancras IV: London: -1952: 1-9).
Listing NGR: TQ2981882578
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings