This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6233 / 52°37'23"N
Longitude: 0.4631 / 0°27'47"E
OS Eastings: 566821
OS Northings: 305684
OS Grid: TF668056
Mapcode National: GBR P6P.HX5
Mapcode Global: WHKQZ.2BS8
Plus Code: 9F42JFF7+86
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 8 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342301
English Heritage Legacy ID: 221515
Location: Stradsett, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33
Civil Parish: Stradsett
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Stradsett St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 60 NE STRADSETT
5/41 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C13 west tower, continuous nave and chancel originally of
this date but restored 1891. Carstone and ashlar with flint in tower. Nave
and chancel rendered. 3 stage unbuttressed tower. West lancet under hood
mould just becoming pointed. String courses divide storeys. Square lancet
to ringing chamber on west side only. Pointed lancet to first stage north
and south. 2-light cusped 4-centred belfry windows early Cl5 on twisted C13
shafts. Battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles also C15. Coping to west
nave gable repaired but stands on C13 grotesque corbels. Gabled south porch
of 1891. C13 south door with hood mould on head stops. 3 cusped intersecting
south windows and 4 similar to north, all 1891. Arched C13 priest's door.
Diagonal east buttresses. 3-light east window of C15. Pointed cusped lights
below series of ogee sub-lights within rising central supermullions. Hood
mould on labels. Gabled C19 vestry built over north door. Interior. Responds
to C13 tower arch chamfered and terminating below imposts in tongue stops.
Chamfered pointed arch with deep plain soffit, the chamfers springing from
broaches. Rere-arch to west tower lancet with C16 German stained glass panel
depicting Crucifixion with angels above roundel of the Lamb carrying a flag.
C19 roof in imitation of hammerbeam type. East window with stained glass
panels depicting adoration of the Magi made in Ausberg 1540 and inserted here
1820. Wall monument north chancel to Thomas Philip Bagge 1827 by Sir Richard
Westmacott : Seated mourning figure of woman above inscription plaque. On
south chancel wall monument to Grace Bagge 1834 : white marble. 2 embracing
angels above inscription plaque. Beneath chancel seating is memorial brass
to Thomas Lathe 1418, depicted wearing armour.
Listing NGR: TF6682105684
Other nearby listed buildings