This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3099 / 52°18'35"N
Longitude: -1.1605 / 1°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 457333
OS Northings: 268308
OS Grid: SP573683
Mapcode National: GBR 8RH.1G1
Mapcode Global: VHCV5.T6WK
Plus Code: 9C4W8R5Q+XR
Entry Name: Timber Framed House Attached to North Side of Manor House
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Last Amended: 11 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1342976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360902
Location: Ashby St. Ledgers, Daventry, Northamptonshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Ashby St Ledgers
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Ashby St Ledgers The BVM and St Leodegarius
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
ASHBY ST.LEDGERS MAIN STREET
SP5768 (East side)
17/8 Timber framed house attached
18/01/68 to north side of Manor House
(Formerly listed as Ancillary
buildings at Ashby St. Ledgers
House. C17, from Cow Street, Ipswich, re-erected in 1903 under the supervision
of Sir Edwin Lutyens. Timber framed with close studding and some diagonal
braces; tile roof, brick stacks. L-plan. Re-erected on sloping ground with the
addition of a stone basement to the north side and two right bays. L-plan. 2 2
storeys and attic. 4 bays with oversailing upper floor. Central doorway with
moulded wood frame with 4-centred arch, the spandrels carved with foliage.
Rectangular panel above carved with a pediment framed by draperies and foliage,
Two wood mullioned and transomed windows with moulded wood frames to left, each
is of two lights but with 4 small arched lights above the transom. 2 mullioned
and transomed bay windows to right, with similar small arched lights in the
head. 3-light first floor windows with moulded wood mullions and transoms in the
left bay and second bay from right. Other first floor windows are similar, of 2 2
lights. Pilaster and bracket on right angle carved with blind tracery and
quatrefoils. Wing projecting to right at rear, C17, similar materials. 2 storeys
and basement. 2 bays. The house was exhibited at White City as a fine example of half timber construction. It was purchased by Lord Wimbourne and re-erected at Ashby St.
Ledgers under protest from Lutyens. Interior: Several corbelled stone fireplaces of varied designs. 1st floor hall with hammerbeam roof and traceried spandrels, considerably renewed. Ground-floor, principal room (garden side) with framed ceiling, a Renaissance medallion panelled cornice, and large fireplace with terns, and heraldic
device to overmantel panel flanked by caryatids.'
(C. Hussey, Ashby St. Ledgers Manor House, Country Life, July 1951).
Listing NGR: SP5733368308
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings