This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4855 / 52°29'7"N
Longitude: -1.9068 / 1°54'24"W
OS Eastings: 406423
OS Northings: 287509
OS Grid: SP064875
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y6.VX
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.WSSJ
Entry Name: 35-38, St Paul's Square
Listing Date: 21 January 1970
Last Amended: 19 January 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343136
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217572
Location: Birmingham, B3
Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 0687 NW 24/25
SP 1687 SW 28/17
ST PAUL'S SQUARE
Nos 35 to 38 (consec)
(Formerly listed as Nos 35 to 39 (consec))
(Formerly listed under City Centre)
Circa 1780 row of town houses on north side of square. No 35 on corner with
Caroline Street still of red brick, the others stuccoed with C19 doorways.
Nos 36-37 would appear to have been one 5 bay house, the others of 3 bays.
Small modillion brackets to cornices with blocking courses, the cornice of
No 35 renewed with caveto moulding. The latter front virtually unaltered,
renewed glazing bar sashes, painted stone sills and flat arches with grooved
voussoirs and stepped keys. Original doorway to left raised on 3 steps with
engaged Doric columns and sections of entablature to open bracketed pediment.
Panelled reveals to round headed doorway. Six panel door with fanlight.
The other houses all have some window heads but no glazing bars to sashes.
Resumed central doorway of No 36-37 replaced by windows to match. No 38 has
large mid C19 panelled pilaster doorway with blind balustrading above entablature
No 39 has doorway of similar date with tall round headed panel pilasters,
panelled side door with cornice hood. The return of No 35 to Caroline Street
retains original cornice. Two sides to ground floor and one each to upper
floors on right hand. Original lead rainwater leads to No 35.
Listing NGR: SP0642287516
Other nearby listed buildings