This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4846 / 52°29'4"N
Longitude: -1.9144 / 1°54'51"W
OS Eastings: 405906
OS Northings: 287408
OS Grid: SP059874
Mapcode National: GBR 5X7.57
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.RTS6
Entry Name: The George and Dragon Public House
Listing Date: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343354
English Heritage Legacy ID: 216712
Location: Birmingham, B1
Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
5104 Hockley B1
Nos 12 and 13
(The George and
Dragon Public House)
SP 0587 SE 27/1
A public house with a 5 bay elevation to Albion Street and returns to Pope
Street and Carver Street. The Pope Street corner probably dates back to circa
1820 with the rest of the front added or rebuilt circa 1860-70 at the same
time as alterations to the fenestration and refurbishment of the ground floor.
Three storeys red brick with bowed stucco panel to Carver Street corner.
Hipped slate roof with paired cut brackets to eaves. Pub front throughout
ground floor with windows and doorways framed by banded shafts with large
crocketed capitals. Panelled doors with painted glass. Leaded glazing with
colonette mullions to windows. Entablature curved up over circular overdoors.
Two bays to west and Pope Street return have revealed marginal glazed sashes
on upper floors. Three bays to east have circa 1870 sashes flanking revealed
oriel bay window with shafting and details similar to pub front. Similar
oriel to Carver Street return. The latter front has one storey extension
by James and Lister Lea of 1922.
Listing NGR: SP0590987408
Other nearby listed buildings