History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Peter

A Grade I Listed Building in Langford Budville, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9989 / 50°59'56"N

Longitude: -3.2674 / 3°16'2"W

OS Eastings: 311163

OS Northings: 122933

OS Grid: ST111229

Mapcode National: GBR LT.K834

Mapcode Global: FRA 461G.WCP

Plus Code: 9C2RXPXM+H3

Entry Name: Church of St. Peter

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344574

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270981

Location: Langford Budville, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA21

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Langford Budville

Built-Up Area: Langford Budville

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Langford Budville

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in


4/39 Churcn of St Peter
Parish church. C15, tower early C16, south aisle early-mid C16, church restored 1846,
north aisle added reusing north wall windows 1866, vestry and organ chamber added 1873,
chancel redecorated tool. Squared and coursed red sandstone, Ham stone dressings,
dado string, concrete tiles with slate roof to chancel, coped verges. Three-bay aisled
nave, south chapel, south porch, north-east organ chamber with vestry, west tower and
chancel. Three stage crenellated tower, set back buttresses, 2-light bell openings with
Somerset tracery, clock face, string course, 3-light west window, moulded Tudor arch
west doorway, C19 door, south-east crenellated stair turret; quatrefoil pierced parapet,
with crocketed finials to south aisle, unlit west end, one 3-light window left of single
storey gabled porch with quatrefoil pierced parapet, renewed crocketed finials,
gargoyles and early C20 statue niche in Art Nouveau style with cross, pointed arch
entrance,moulded with colonettes,diagonal buttresses, compartment ceiling.Perpendicular
niche above moulded arch entrance, C19 door, two 3-light windows at east end, moulded
4-centred arch priest's door, 2-light window in south wall of diagonally buttressed
chancel, 3-light east window, 2-light on north side, 3-light to organ chamber with tall
chimney as clasping buttress, diagonal buttress to north aisle, 4 and 3-light windows,
buttress between, 2-light west end. Interior: rendered. Three bay standard Perpendicular
arcade, stylized leaf-band capitals in original south aisle with needle and thread
carved on south-east capital, similar arch between chapel and chancel, C19 bean between
south aisle and chapel, C19 Perpendicular style chancel arch, remains of imposts of
earlier arch visible; chamfered 4-centred tower arch; C19 panelled arch to organ bay
from north aisle. Piscina in south-east corner of chapel. Holy water stoup beside
entrance. Roofs: chancel renewed ceiled barrel vault with bosses, nave plastered ribbed
barrel vault with bosses and wall plate and ceilure at chancel end, C19 ribbed barrel
vault, bosses and wallplate north aisle, similar with angels in south aisle.
Perpendicular font on ornately carved base, possibly mid C16.Organ by Foster and Andrews
of Hull, 1875. Collection of C19 stained glass including east window of south aisle to
John de Haviland, died 1852. He emigrated to America where he introduced the concept of
radiating prisons and had a successful career as a prison architect. Slate slab to an
earlier John Haviland, died 1736. Others in nave including one with good lettering to
William Crofts, vicar, died 1675. Oval marble tablet by T King of Bath with mourning
figures by urn, William Parry Wade of Bindon House, died 1806. White marble on slate
tablet by Pollard of Taunton to Robert Gardiner of Wellisford House,died 1842. Good
aedicule monument, open pediment with coat of arms and putti, William Bacon died 1663,
1509 John Peryn of Wellington left three farthings towards the building of the tower.
The north aisle was added at the expense of Henry Wade of Bindon House (qv) for his
family's usage. Until 1863 Langford Budville was a chapelry of Milverton, and in 1930
Runnington was united with the benefice. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of
England, South and West Somerset,1958; McDermott,A History of St Peter's Church,
Langford Budville, 1977).

Listing NGR: ST1116422938

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.