History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatehouse and Wall Linking Gatehouse to Manor on South East Side, Cothay Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stawley, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9838 / 50°59'1"N

Longitude: -3.3045 / 3°18'16"W

OS Eastings: 308529

OS Northings: 121297

OS Grid: ST085212

Mapcode National: GBR LR.LBNF

Mapcode Global: FRA 36ZH.SKX

Entry Name: Gatehouse and Wall Linking Gatehouse to Manor on South East Side, Cothay Manor

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344803

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270100

Location: Stawley, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA21

County: Somerset

District: Taunton Deane

Civil Parish: Stawley

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Kittisford

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Stawley

Listing Text

ST02SE STAWLEY CP COTHAY

6/25 Gatehouse and Wall linking
gatehouse to Manor on South East
side, Cothay Manor
25.1.56

GV II*

Gatehouse. Late C15, extensively restored 1926-7. Red sandstone random rubble.
Steeply pitched plain tile roof right of flat lead roofed tower. Plan: square
tower gateway with hexagonal projecting stair turret, originally flanked by 2
symmetrical wings of which only the right one remains. 2-storeys, 1:2 bays;
tower, crenellated, set back buttresses, first floor 3-light Tudor arch head
window with string course acting as hood mould, moulded depressed arch entrance
with hood mould; above reset square panel with arms of Richard Bluett and his
wife Alice Verney, the builder of Cothay. To right, first floor two 2-light
Tudor arch head windows with hood moulds, below two square lancets with
chamfered surrounds and relieving arches. Two stepped buttresses on facade
buttressed returns. Interior: stone newel stair, chamfered lintel to first floor
fireplace, arched niche below in wing which is no longer ceiled. Roof rebuilt
1926-7. Wall, red sandstone randon rubble, stone slate coping, about 2 metres
high, dog leg plan, linking gatehouse to Manor. (M Wood, The Medieval House,
1981; Country Life, October 22 and 29, 1927).


Listing NGR: ST0852921297

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.