This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7071 / 52°42'25"N
Longitude: -2.7589 / 2°45'32"W
OS Eastings: 348819
OS Northings: 312431
OS Grid: SJ488124
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.2FH0
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.L6FZ
Plus Code: 9C4VP64R+RC
Entry Name: Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344941
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458017
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
Tagged with: Church building
SJ4812SE ST CHAD'S TERRACE
653-1/14/536 (East side)
10/01/53 Church of St Chad
Parish church. 1790-92. By George Steuart of London. Ashlar
over rusticated basement with leaded roofs. West tower,
elliptical stair hall, and circular nave with shallow
projecting chancel recess.
Base of tower is square, carrying octagonal upper section,
with paired Doric pilasters on each facet, this in turn
carrying cupola supported on free-standing Composite columns
and with a tall domed roof capped by a cross. Ionic eastern
entrance portico, with tall arched entrance doors within, with
date stone over, MDCCXC. Elliptical stair hall and circular
nave articulated by paired Doric pilasters each side of
round-arched windows. Parapet with alternating solid and
balustraded sections. Square windows in lower wall.
INTERIOR: circular ante-chamber giving access to side chapel
furnished as war memorial, then oval inner stair hall, with
cantilevered stone staircase with cast-iron balustrade, rising
to (liturgical) north and south and giving access to gallery.
Main body of church is circular, with wedges of original pews.
Gallery carried on cast-iron cylindrical Ionic shafts raised
on high bases. Second tier of fluted Composite shafts above,
linking to plaster cornice. Plasterwork ceiling, with foliate
outer circle and inner radial decoration round putti in
clouds. Palladian arch with fluted Composite shafts to shallow
chancel recess with ornate gilded altar piece, and low-reliefs
each side of crucifix.
STAINED GLASS: painted glass east window representing the
Deposition from the Cross, and windows painted in a similar
style each side of the organ to the (liturgical) west. Glass
by David Evans, copied from paintings. Some armorial stained
glass to north. Glass in stair hall window by Hardman.
MEMORIALS: various marble memorial stones, and hatchments,
including bust by Chantrey, 1815. Copper and brass pulpit on
quatrefoil plan with symbols of the Evangelists on each panel,
c1890. The walls of stair hall and ante-chamber are lined with
marble memorial stones.
(The Buildings of England: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1958-).
Listing NGR: SJ4881612458
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings