History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Andrew's House and Attached Coach House and Boundary Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Nottingham, City of Nottingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9647 / 52°57'52"N

Longitude: -1.1522 / 1°9'7"W

OS Eastings: 457040

OS Northings: 341151

OS Grid: SK570411

Mapcode National: GBR LNK.NC

Mapcode Global: WHDGS.8RL1

Entry Name: St Andrew's House and Attached Coach House and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1344978

English Heritage Legacy ID: 457929

Location: Nottingham, NG3

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Mapperley

Built-Up Area: Nottingham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Nottingham St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nottingham

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK54SE MAPPERLEY ROAD
646-1/4/410 (East side)
St Andrew's House and attached coach
house and boundary wall

GV II

House, now architects' offices, and attached coach house and
boundary wall. c1840, remodelled 1886 by Watson Fothergill of
Nottingham for Dr Smart. Used as offices by TC Howitt and
successors from 1936. Red brick, with blue brick and ashlar
dressings, and timber-framed attic with roughcast nogging.
Plain tile roofs, gabled and hipped, with 2 gable stacks.
EXTERIOR: plinth, first floor band, arched bargeboards to
gables. Windows are mainly segment-arched margin glazed
sashes. 2 storeys plus attics; 2 bays. Irregular facades.
Mansfield Road front has to right a canted bay window, 2
storeys plus attic, 3-lights, with hipped roof and flat-headed
windows to the attic. To left, a round tourelle, 2 storeys,
with spire roof and finial. In the centre, 2 sashes, and a
single sash above.
Left return, to Mapperley Road, has a single storey addition,
full width, with a central timber-framed porch flanked by
composite sashes, 3-lights. Original panelled door with
sidelights. At the left end, a triangular bay window.
At the rear, original segment-arched glazing bar sashes.
Attached coach house, 1886, 2 storeys, with a large gabled
through-eaves dormer.
INTERIOR has a stone spiral stair, c1840, and early C20
bathroom fittings.
Outside, boundary wall across both fronts, brick with gabled
brick coping.
(Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Watson Fothergill,
Architect: Nottingham: 1987-: 15).


Listing NGR: SK5704041151

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.